Should I up the Voltage?

Chomp

Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
547
I have a P4 2.8C and a Thermalright SP-94 w/ a 92mm Tornado.

I ran 2 instances of prime95 (one for each affinity) and recieved no errors after 7 hours @ a speed of 3.2Ghz.

I up'd the FSB to 240 (3.36Ghz) and I get errors after about 5 minutes of prime95.

Is this just the limit of my CPU, or will raising the voltage do anything?


I'm running a 5:4 ratio and I idle at about 33C and load is about 42C. My CPU voltage is on "auto" or whatever, and it's 1.525V.
 
SP-94 and Tornado?! hell yeah you can up the voltage. kick it up to, say, 1.65V for starters. your safe limit is about 1.7V.
 
Is your system stable? If not upping the vcore should provide it more stability. Try upping to ram too, to 2.8.
 
I'm stable at 3.2, and I can boot into windows and play games or whatever at 3.4-- (but prime95 gets errors instantly).

Does raising the voltage fix the stability issues? What exactly does it do?


I'm reluctant to do it because people say it reduces CPU life..
 
voltage will help stability. it can reduce life, but you won't notice it any time soon unless you raise it over 1.8 on air (somewhere around there)
 
Back
Top