• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Shelf Speakers on a computer?

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
353
Hello, I've recently come across two bookshelf speakers and an amp, and I would like to be able to use them as the speakers on my computer. I know it is possible to hook the up to the computer, but was wondering how. Im not sure, but I've heard that if you have an amp you can plug the speakers into the amp and then plug the amp directly into the computer soundcard, whithout the need of any converters. Is this true? If not, how would I hook up the bookshelf speakers to my computer and what would I need to buy? Thanks.
 
If the amp has RCA inputs you can just go to the ratshack and pick up a 3.5" to RCA cable and your pretty much set.
 
When I did that.. I had to make some connectors on the 12v lines on an old 350w PSU to power the amp, then, just run a cable from the headphone jack of your comp and goto radioshack and get you a stereo headphone 1/8in jack to RCA splitter/converter .. hook the RCAs to your amp, plug in your speaker.. and all u need is a switch betwee the green wire and any ground wire so be able to turn the amp on and off at will

Basically...
12v+ to amp power and Remote(If it has one)
Ground to ground on amp
Switch between green and black wire on PSU

the only thing u need to buy is a switch and either a cable that has a stereo headphone jack on one side and RCA on the other.. or a headphone to headphone with an RCA converter on it.. total, under 10$

-Evil Juggalo
 
would it be stupid to buy factory remanufactured speakers straight from the manufacturer?
 
Funky_Junk said:
would it be stupid to buy factory remanufactured speakers straight from the manufacturer?

Not really. What manufacturer is it?
 
aznx said:
JBLs dudeeee. What kind of amp do you have? Andd...get a sub later. :p

I wouldn't think that a computer soundcard has enough energy to run an amp. Can it?
 
I forgot to mention that Im only concerned about sound quality, not loudness. My computer workspace is only about 15x15 feet.
 
Funky_Junk said:
I wouldn't think that a computer soundcard has enough energy to run an amp. Can it?

I thought you said you had an amp. What amp is it? You can use a 1/8" to RCA converter.
 
Would I be able to run an amp out of the power of my sound card or would I need a seperate source of power?
 
Funky_Junk said:
Would I be able to run an amp out of the power of my sound card or would I need a seperate source of power?

Like I've said, what amp do you have? Are you talking about a car amp or something? Either way you'd need an external power source...

I don't think any amps are self powering..as you need power to amplify the sound. :p
 
Amps to power speakers generally get their power from a wall outlet. The only connection to the sound card is the 1/8" (from speaker out) to RCA input on the amp, which does not provide power, but the sound signal.
 
I dont actually have an amp yet, but it would be something used for about $50. Im using the amp to increase sound quality not loudness. Sorry for my stupidity.
 
Please get us some pics of your equipment b4 we blow our brains out trying to figure out a solution that cant work..

-Evil Juggalo
 
The Logitech's won't need a seperate amp while the JBL's will. The Logitech's amp is in the subwoofer.
 
No they won't. Not if you like your music. Your better off with the JBL's but if you don't have a receiver to hook them to, there is no point. You could always buy a cheap stereo receiver used from amazon.com/ or the liken. Whatever is cheaper for you I guess, I just wouldn't buy the logitechs :(.
 
You are better off with the JBL E30's, but you need some sort of amp to use them with your computer. You could go with a receiver or just an amp. Receiver's are just amps with cool toys and features thrown in, sorta.
 
recievers are just amps with a preamp and tuner, not 'fun toys' an amp alone would just power the speakers and have an output

basically you need a cheap stereo reciever or a cheap integrated stereo amplifier. this coupled with those E30's would sound better than any PC designed speaker system.
 
Chair said:
recievers are just amps with a preamp and tuner, not 'fun toys' an amp alone would just power the speakers and have an output

basically you need a cheap stereo reciever or a cheap integrated stereo amplifier. this coupled with those E30's would sound better than any PC designed speaker system.

A preamp is just basically volume control right? :p
 
I have people at other forums telling me to get a reciever rather than an amp. So a reciever includes an amp plus other stuff? WOuld it actually make the speakers sound better than they would with an amp?
 
Funky_Junk said:
I have people at other forums telling me to get a reciever rather than an amp. So a reciever includes an amp plus other stuff? WOuld it actually make the speakers sound better than they would with an amp?

Probably not. However some amps don't have a subwoofer preout..so..
 
The only reason to get a reciever is in case I want to get an amp or some more speakers?
 
Chair said:
recievers are just amps with a preamp and tuner, not 'fun toys' an amp alone would just power the speakers and have an output

basically you need a cheap stereo reciever or a cheap integrated stereo amplifier. this coupled with those E30's would sound better than any PC designed speaker system.

My wording was a little elusive, but "fun toys" = tuner, audio / video switching, decoding and upmixing abilities, etc.. all very fun extras to me, perhaps not to you.

To the OP: Get a stereo receiver. This will allow you to connect more than just your computer to the receiver for playback through your speakers. Examples being: TV, MP3 player, CD player, and allowing easy switching between them. If this doesn't interest you, you might want to get an amp instead, though they are not guaranteed to be cheaper and are often more expensive.

Either way you go (amp or receiver), your speakers will likely sound the same. It is recommended that you get an amp or receiver that has 70 - 120 Watts/channel to effectively drive those particular speakers.
 
Funky_Junk said:
So I would use that in place of an amp?

What you were looking at was a reciever, just 2 channels. Do you need DTS/Dolby/etc? If not, 2 channels should suffice. :p
 
I thought I would be getting the reciever in place of an amp. Im only getting one or the other, not both. Im only going to have two speakers
 
Funky_Junk said:
I thought I would be getting the reciever in place of an amp. Im only getting one or the other, not both. Im only going to have two speakers

I didn't say get both.

The 2 channel reciever you mentioned..is a reciever. Amps don't have FM/Dolby/DTS/etc. I'm just saying if you wanted the future expandibility...to get a 5.1/7.1 reciever rather than a 2 channel reciever.

Just get the 2 channel reciever.

You haven't found any amps.

This is an amp. http://www.amazon.com/Reference-A-L700P-3-Channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00007MFQY

Nothing fancy.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top