Sharing a scanner over a network

I can't think of any direct way to do it personally. But I won't say it CANT be done.

Nope, not gonna happen.

There are networked scanners, but they are part of large networked copier systems.

Originally posted by Nybbles
Nope, not gonna happen.

There are networked scanners, but they are part of large networked copier systems.

HP also sells some Single-Function network scanners for around $3000 each. I don't know of any way to share a USB scanner though.

Can't you do Remote Desktop or PC Anywhere through the network? And then just log into the host machine, the one w/ the USB scanner, and then just scan and send the files else where. Right?

Not exactly what the original post had requested, but eh... it's a semi-solution...

Originally posted by RavinDJ
Can't you do Remote Desktop or PC Anywhere through the network? And then just log into the host machine, the one w/ the USB scanner, and then just scan and send the files else where. Right?

Not exactly what the original post had requested, but eh... it's a semi-solution...

I dont see any reason why not. I applaud your thinking out of the box.

However, I dont know the original posters needs, but i would NEVER attempt to explain Remote Desktop to one of the secretaries in my office. ;)

There is software out there that allows you to share a scanner.
I can't remember what it was called. I asked this question before because I had a client that wanted to be able to scan from 2 machines without moving the scanner. In the end, I told him he should just do the scanning on the one machine and share the folder where the scans are stored.

We use digital networked copiers for scanning and it works great, but I have never seen a solution to use a USB scanner.

The pcAnywhere suggestion is great, but like Nybbles said it isn't a solution for your end users.

the question should not be HOW....but WHY? you still have to get up and place the document on the scanner. just hook it up to a PC and let everyone use it ?:p

Originally posted by RavinDJ

yes my brother uses pc anywhere. gets full access to anything on my computer.

so yes pc anywhere will work

The Brother MFC-3820CN has a built in ethernet port. It does scan, copy, print, fax and also has a memory card readers. I bought mine at office depot but Newegg also has them instock. Great product. Under 250 also. It has USB too.

If you hook the printer upto a hub/switch the printer acts as it's own server. You don't have to hookup to a dedicated PC, the printer takes care of all that itself. Load up software onto all the client computers that you want to use the printer/scanner/fax. After that you can put something into the scanner and then scan it to whatever client you want to. Or you can sit at your desk and scan (considering the paper being scanned is already in the scanner over the network to yourself or someone else.

OR....if you would rather use USB, the supplied software and dirvers will allow you to do the above through USB also.

I don't know of any software that isn't brand specific. I haven't searched Google yet for it, maybe worth a shot.

why is very easy..

i have a multifunction printer at home on the network. In order to get use from the scanner it has to be connected to a computer, so that computer has to be turned on, the problem is that when i want to scan something onto my computer which is in another room, i have to log into the server actually sit at it and scan it in, then send it to myself accross the network, its really irritating!

if there is software that can share scanners accross a network, id love to hear it!!

it would just be easier to go into the other room/comp scan the pic send it to your computer dont you think

Originally posted by BGM
why is very easy..

i have a multifunction printer at home on the network. In order to get use from the scanner it has to be connected to a computer, so that computer has to be turned on, the problem is that when i want to scan something onto my computer which is in another room, i have to log into the server actually sit at it and scan it in, then send it to myself accross the network, its really irritating!

if there is software that can share scanners accross a network, id love to hear it!!

Well you just said that the scanner is connected to the server. What OS is the server running? You may be able to use RavinDJ's suggestion and use Remote Desktop or VNC to do the scan and save it to a network share.

Back