SFF + OC = Fire?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
My friend is going to build a new computer in this case and we are worried about the heat. He can't afford an A64 so we are gonna get an XP-M and overclock it to about 2.4GHz. I am worried about heat. My MidTower can't run it's mobile at 2.4GHz with the side pannel on! Has anyone here ever overclocked in a SFF system before? Also, what HS/F's are the best for a SFF setup? Thanks guys.

You really need to search this forum. You will find lots of information on O/C SFF pc's.

I did a bunch of searches but got crap results. Then the site told me that I can only do one search every 60 seconds. What would you search for. I used things like, SFF, heat, thermal, cooling, ect. in different combinations, but got no useful hits.

I might move this one to the OC and cooling forum.

I have run a 2400+ Tbred, not a mobile, at 1.85V and 2400Mhz in a Shuttle without it burning up... they have much much better designed cooling than a lot of full sized cases. It's part of why they cost more. You'll be surprised how good it is, especially with a little help, like removing grills, replacing fans, etc.

Running a 2500+ Barton non-mobile OC'ed to 3200+ (2.20) and my CPU is running at 45C right now. It's also in the mid-70s outside, and I have no air conditioner.

I know the shuttle cases are good, but what about the other SFF cases that look like minitowers (but smaller) and not cubes.

Well, so far I've only built one SFF PC and I used a Shuttle to do that (SB75G2). I would think the same thing would apply to other SFF PC's as do to the Shuttle, keep'em cool! This is the part where you get creative (or if you are like me steal other peoples ideas), just take a look at what you are planning to buy (or bought) and look for ways to improve air flow. The standards are usually removing factor fan grills (dremel time!) and adding some of your own. Something else to consider when OC'ing is power. I actually added an external power supply for my SFF to power the fans and DVD player. Here's what I'm running currently (I'll get some pic's up in a few days):

PC Setup:
P4 2.8E at 3.3 (240 FSB at 1.4 volts, idles at 35C load bounces between 45&46)
2x512 Geil PC4000 RAM
Geforce 5900XT
2x80 GB SATA Maxtor Hard drives in RAID 0 array
Sony DRU-530A DVD-RW drive
Dremeled out back fan grill, removed ICE setup (replaced with water-cooling setup), replaced stock fan, added blow hole and 60x10 fan, added 60x10 fan to drive cage (made a duct to pull air from front of case to drive cage).

Water-cooling setup:
Swiftech MCW6000-P waterblock
Innovatek Dual fan radiator (10mm compression fittings)
4 Antech Pro 120 fans (80 cfm's at 30 db's each, ouch!)
Swiftech MCP600 pump
Custom external case with 180 watt Micro ATX power supply
Made a 4 pin Molex extension to run from box to Shuttle (supplies power to 2 fans, graphics card, graphics card fan, and DVD drive)

Maybe you can find some ideas here. I'll try to get some pictures up soon of all this. I got most of the "inspiration" from forums like this, here and elsewhere.

i know you said that you know about shuttles already.. but i will beat the dead horse a little more...

stock shuttle.. got it less than a week ago.. had the processor only since monday.. and i can hit 2.5 ghz on a tottally stock shuttle ice and fan... see sig for the rest of my specs..

I'd be very wary of anything outside the Shuttle/ Biostar camp. Those have well engineered cooling solutions. Once you start looking at random cases from no-name companies, I have a feeling you'll run into trouble.

Please look at the link to the case that I posted. It looks kinda crappy and my friend bought it because he thought it looked like an X-Box. I am sure that form is way over function on this one. We are in college and deremel access is moot. I just dont want to recomend that he spends X hundred dollars on a new system that crashes when he puts it in that thermal mug.

My firend already bought the case and he was just going to put a slow CPU and a cheap motherboard in it to run his Divx movies on his TV. Now his laptop (main comp) died and he needs a full rig. He is going to get a fast CPU and try to OC it. We will cut out the fan grills. Take a look at the link to the case on the first post. Note that it doesn't come with a motherboard. It is just a very small tower.

put a 35 watt mobile amd in there... and don't overclock it at first.. if he temps are fine, then overclock it.... but if not, he will still have 1.6-1.8 ghz...

i have no idea what motherboards fit...

your Shuttle's gonna be fine and it isnt gonna catch on fire.

I'm sure that Shuttle tests, tests again and retests again to make sure that their systems arent gonna catch on fire.

I needed the AC on (and a room temp of about 72 F) to be stable, but I had my 3.0C running at 3.5 GHz in my SB75G2.

Ok, after looking at the pic's of the case you linked I'd say add a decent performing 60 to the rear exhaust (like this one http://www.directron.com/ec6025.html). I'd also look at replacing the fan in the power supply. The spec's say it's an 80 but not sure if it's 80x25 or smaller. Maybe on of these to keep with the aluminum theme: http://www.directron.com/colorfan.html. I'd look at someway to bring more air in, maybe expanding on the existing ventilation up front (drill more holes or expand existing ones, etc.). Post some pic's when you get done!

I have a cheapie $180 or so QBIC system at work by soltek. Has an xp-m at 2400mhz (stock is 1800) with pc3200 ram, and a 80GB 7200rpm hard drive and it runs about 63C idle. I have left it under 100% load for several days (rc5 client) and it hasn't rebooted or anything. It's set to shutoff automatically at 80C and hasn' t yet. Voltage I"m using is 1.75. Works great and is hands down the fastest box here (most peoples boxes are p3-500's to p4-2.4's but nothing really faster except in the server room).

Rob

hate to crap your party... i was gonna use that case for a mod... till i learned this from the main directron people:
(1) directron is sole supplier
(2) case is being discontinued as soon as their current supply runs out
(3) case is a little difficult to work with
(4) psu cannot be upgraded or replaced

Back