Sff Heat

rmnoon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
137
Hey everybody, happy new year!

I just put together an Epox MiniMe barebones for a relative using an extra AXP 1800+, a 200gb seagate pata, and 512mb of CAS 2.5 corsair.

When idling in the BIOS, previous to windows install the BIOS reports the system temp as usually around 50C, and the chip temp around 51C (with the case open!). In my rig I've got a couple of those TT 90cfm 120mms, so I'm used to around 31-33c system and 36c chip (a mobile 2400+ at 1.75v).

I thought perhaps it had autodetected the voltage at something way too high, (it was reporting 1.75v) so I lowered it to 1.625, but there hasn't been any noticiable difference. I know running a Palomino core (or really any core) above 50c isn't good, but its especially these 50c case temps that bother me (I've already had one of those 200gb seagate drives die on me due to temperature). I know the epox design on this cooler (undersized northbridge and cpu cooler all in one, yay!) isn't great, but shouldn't it be able to do something better than this?

My next course of action was going to be scraping off those TIM pads and using AS5, but I thought I'd consult here first. I was also thinking of screwing an old p1 cooler fan to the passive air vents on the side of the case.

What can I do about these temps?
 
First piece of advice, lose the palamino. Get a 2500+ chip instead, should be able to run around 10-15 degrees cooler. Or if you're lucky, get a mobility chip. These are probably not in the mainstream market anymore, so you may have to buy used or do some digging to find out.

Another option is to underclock/undervolt the CPU. You might be able to get it to run at .2-.3V lower than spec if you fiddle with the speed a little. I'm not that familiar with the mini-me cases, but I have a scorcher palamino in my server... 1800+ as well, and when I tried to overclock it, it went from 1400 -> 1450 or something before generating errors. It's an end-of -the-line chip, with thoroughbreds starting at 1900+
 
The palomino's all I got, and I'm leaving for school on sunday...no time to buy anything else. Too bad I go to school in California. So try to undervolt it for now, use some AS5, and hope it all comes out for the best?
 
Back
Top