Settle a debate for me

AMD still voids warranty for using an aftermarket heatsink.
http://support.amd.com/us/warranty/Pages/Processorinabox3YearLimited.aspx

They may even check the mating surfaces to see if another heatsink was used.

I've never had to RMA a CPU before, but I'm sure if it came to it, I could site the Magnuson-Moss Act. (Link)

For my scenario, AMD would have to prove that the aftermarket HSF actually caused the malfunction of the chip. They cannot just "void" my warranty because I used an aftermarket HSF even though they said I cannot.

Several manufacturers have clauses in their warranties for things you cannot do with said product. The Magnuson-Moss Act helps ensure they cannot deny warranty coverage if the product is at fault, even though you're doing something they don't approve.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: It looks as if AMD may be able to do this since they only offer a "LIMITED WARRANTY" rather than a "FULL WARRANTY" which is subject to the Magnuson-Moss Act.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top