setting up server to initiate ups 2 when ups 1 is running low

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
If I had 2 UPS's and each one is plugged into a seperate redundent power supply on the server and the power goes out, is there a way to make ups 1 kick in and ups 2 to not do anything and only start supplying power if ups 1 starts to get low?

you probably would have better luck just chaining the batteries together. (or, now that I think of it, maybe even the ups's themselves)

If you do a switch between two, the power will fluxuate too much for the system to handle, and it will reboot.

In my expierence, server sysems with redundant power supplies also perform load balancing.

IOW, if your server pulls 6 Amps of power total, then it would split 3 amps between the two PSUs, if you were to disconnect one PSU, the 3 amp load shifts to the working PSU causing the remaining PSU to pull 6 amps.

Simply plug each PSU into seperate UPSs and be done, It will have the net effect you are seeking.

SJConsultant said:
In my expierence, server sysems with redundant power supplies also perform load balancing.

*SOME* support this, not all. I forget the term off hand but it is something like power sharing or something to the effect that they share the power. A lot of the cheaper redundant power supplies simply work as a cold spare so it will not power on unless the other fails.

I agree with the person above that just chaining them together is probably the cheapest option, though I have never tried it.

the server in question is a dell poweredge 2500
it would have at least 2 redundent.. possibly 3 power supply's.

cyr0n_k0r said:

Why not just chain your UPS's together?

-Michael

cyr0n_k0r said:

Dell PE2500's are load balanced power supplies. Connect one UPS unit to each PSU.

I want to keep the cost WAY down. Its cheaper to buy 2 1400va ups's than 1 2200 kva ups

Back