Setting up FTP (no router only cable modem)

Eocene

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know what neeeds to be done to set up an ftp at a location where only a cable modem is owned?

This is the famous toshiba router btw.

Thanks.

Only a cable modem?

Install FTP server. Open appropriate port (21, IIRC) in firewall.

No firewall? Get one!

lomn75 said:
Only a cable modem?

Install FTP server. Open appropriate port (21, IIRC) in firewall.

No firewall? Get one!

Seconded.

However, turn off guest access in your FTP server.

Consider changing the port away from 21 (this, clearly, would be more secure).

J

i think he was looking for ftp server software or a semi guide of how to set one up.

602lansuite is pretty good from what im told.

Several FTP Server systems are in the Freeware Index of the GenSoft forum. Additionally, with Win2K/XP Pro, you have the IIS FTP server already available, which is quite suitable.

Naw it was for my friend who doesnt have a router... but yeah I had an ftp server up myself but now with my new crappy speedstreams router (only use it cuz its wireless)

my ftp doesnt work outside of my home network.. I tried to change the settings but still no luck.. even though the port is set up forward... I tried serv-u and even cerberus.

Thanks

Eocene said:
my ftp doesnt work outside of my home network.. I tried to change the settings but still no luck.. even though the port is set up forward... I tried serv-u and even cerberus.
Might be that your ISP blocks the default ports. This is frequently the case with HTTP, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for FTP as well.

I've had it before but since i switched routers it stopped working.

Setup an ssh server. This will ( often ) give you sftp, which is a far more secure solution, and doesn't take much away from speed ( hardly noticable in fact ).

Yeah. And firewall that sucker.

Back