Setting up CCTV on a network

IceBrewedBeer

Limp Gawd
The title may seem vague or misleading so I apologize for that.

A friend of mine who owns a business has asked me if I could get his security DVR camera system to stream the camera images to his phone.

I reviewed what he has for a network and he's got it setup this way.

DSL modem/PPPoe
Netgear Swtich
12 computers
CCTV DVR

I had him order a static IP from the ISP and we're waiting for that to be setup right now, it'll be a few days so we're told.

I'm just double checking to see if I'm going about this right..

Router, change PPPoE to Static IP
Leave Switch with computers on DHCP
Port forward the DVR via router config menu
Connect Android device to Static IP.

I feel that I'm skipping a step or going about this the wrong way....big thanks for the help.

check to make sure there is a web interface on the DVR that will actually work on the android, and that the amount of bandwidth it requires to show video will actually work across a cellular link.

Thanks for the replies guys. Here is the actual unit that I'm working with.

http://www.dvrmaster.com/product-93...-rw-iphone-android-blackberry-compatible.html

I spoke with a representative from dvrmaster who my friend bought the DVR from, and they instructed me to download the bubo-bubo app from the market place to connect with the DVR.

@ Red_Squirrel

From what I could see from the menu on the DVR it only supports TCP/IP, SMTP, HTTP, DHCP, DDNS.

Thanks for the replies guys. Here is the actual unit that I'm working with.

http://www.dvrmaster.com/product-93...-rw-iphone-android-blackberry-compatible.html

I spoke with a representative from dvrmaster who my friend bought the DVR from, and they instructed me to download the bubo-bubo app from the market place to connect with the DVR.

@ Red_Squirrel

From what I could see from the menu on the DVR it only supports TCP/IP, SMTP, HTTP, DHCP, DDNS.

make sure you change the default port to, most run on 81 or 80, change it to something hidden..

If it has no secure method, I would really run it through a SSH tunnel or something. Maybe a VPN.

If it has no secure method, I would really run it through a SSH tunnel or something. Maybe a VPN.

most dvr's are not secure, they really are not ment to be exposed to the external's of a network, only to internal computers/ip's.

MOST people who install them don't even change the dam admin username & pass..

I vote VPN..

I setup an EverFocus DVR for a customer of mine last year.
They have their own ddns service which works pretty well. I did have to mess with port forwarding through the stupid at&t dsl modem/router but it's been running fine.
EverFocus also has a nice iPhone app :)

I setup an EverFocus DVR for a customer of mine last year.
They have their own ddns service which works pretty well. I did have to mess with port forwarding through the stupid at&t dsl modem/router but it's been running fine.
EverFocus also has a nice iPhone app :)

only problem with that tho, is it's not really that secure..

Back