setting up a server pc

purple_haze

2[H]4U
it took me a long time but i think i might want to try to set up a server pc with one of my spare pc parts. is there any advice to get started or any introductions to get me on my feet to start with one

Start by figuring out what you want to do with it.

Run services, store files, run a website... etc...

running a server at home is alot of fun if your a sadist. i have mine running as a domain controller, dns server, WDS server, file server, web server and a game server (random games on the weekends) and i must say that is it alot of fun testing things in how they work.

go download the trial versions of the server OS's and give em a shot till you pick what you want to do with it.

It just really depends on how they are going to be used. I tossed a raid controller, a couple nics, and 6 drives in raid 5 onto a socket 939 system and made it into a stupidly overpowered NAS and router. Even after under clocking and under volting it it is way overpowered and wastes too much electricity for what I use it for. Though I do have plans in place to go to an Atom based system for that purpose at some point.

There are some simplistic Atom powered boxes these days from MSI and Shuttle that would serve as nice low powered machines. Slap Windows Home Server on it (OEM copy from Newegg) and you're good to go...

Check out ubuntu, great for what you are looking for. the learning curve is a little steep, I would try to read a book or guide to get an overview of how the operating system works, and then get a VM setup or the box you have and throw the software on there. You won't be disappointed.

Back