setting up a gigabit network with fileserver/nas

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd like to remotely locate my media files so that they are accessible from all my computers and I don't have to worry about wiring/installing/not corrupting the HDDs in my main rig.

My main problem is that I have verizon fios, meaning I'm screwed into using their POS actiontech router to get TV info. Right now I run

actiontec> parents 2 computers, cheap linksys switch, dlink dir-625
linksys switch> printer and xbox 360 (basement)
dlink> my computer, xbox 360(bed room) and wifi to 2 laptops and my brothers computer

I planned on getting an 8 port gigabit netgear switch and running:

actiontec> dlink, parents computers, netgear switch
dlink> printer, 360 (basement), wifi
netgear> main rig, 360 (bed room), brothers computer, file server, whatever else I add

I assume I'll need a switch with jumbo frames to be able to stream HD content without it being much slower than if the disks were internal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122111

That's the switch I planned on getting. I read that version 2 supports jumbo frames, how do I tell v1 from v2?

File server will likely be a pc-dl/dual 1.6lv rig. What's the easiest way to set up a fileserver/NAS type of network setup while keeping the computer under windows so that it can be used for web surfing/DC projects?

Thanks

Just run windows xp or vista on it. Either turn on guest access or make user accounts on it with the same username/password as the other machines on the network. Vista is nice in the sence that you don't need to have the gues account turned on to have guest access for file shares.

I guess you could use windows server if you really wanted to but I see it as overkill. Personaly I would go with vista as it gives you a few more options then xp.

You could also go with a unix or linux distro and use samba to share the files to windows. Works well.

Back