Server rack/cabinet

Pixeleet

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I've been looking around for one lately, but as I'm sure you all know, they're damn expensive. For those of you who own one (or more), where did you get them? I know ebay is a good place to look for this kind of thing, but the shipping is insane on them. I don't need anything huge, 42u would be overkill. If someone would point me to the right direction/person to get this from, that would be great.

As a side note, does anyone know what this is (model)?
http://www.madlan.net/2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

that looks like something that was home made. there are plans at a couple sites to build your own. i dont' have the links bookmarked here so i can't give them too you. google should bring something up though.

best place is still ebay for big cabinets, just search for one near you

if you want a small rack like the one in the pic, go to a guitar center or a sam ash... any music store with a pro-audio / dj department should have stuff like that...

The ones I saw were like 440$ :(

Originally posted by FLECOM
best place is still ebay for big cabinets, just search for one near you

if you want a small rack like the one in the pic, go to a guitar center or a sam ash... any music store with a pro-audio / dj department should have stuff like that...

Originally posted by nurv
The ones I saw were like 440$ :(

on ebay or a music store?

i guarantee you a rack like that does not cost $440 at GuitarCenter... i have one kinda similar... here

DSCN2309.JPG

its a 6U rack with wheels and a handle, kinda like those suitcases you drag along behind you?

has flaps on both sides to protect your gear, made by a compnay called RAXXES or something like that

got it @ gc for like $80

437$ Looks really similar to the picture.

ah screw it

neways its the same exact case as the one in the first post of this thread and its like 438$

Those look like guitar strings to me....

Going to make your cabinet out of Fender Bullets eh? Sweet...

FYI, racks for audio are not as deep as server racks, and may or may not support 4 post rail systems. You may be able to find a server that's not as deep, and mounts just to the 2 front rails.

Originally posted by bdavids1
FYI, racks for audio are not as deep as server racks, and may or may not support 4 post rail systems. You may be able to find a server that's not as deep, and mounts just to the 2 front rails.

While this is true, if you're only going to be transporting routers and switches, you can get away with the short depth cases just fine. As for the cost, the full size racks for IT gear can easily run $300-$500 for ruggedized/shock proof racks. The largest one we have at work is a 12U model and that one cost us about $430 4 years ago. Unfortunately I don't expect prices have changed much since then.

I'm going to need a rack that supports Dell PowerEdge servers, so with those audio racks, depth might be a problem. I'll keep my eyes open for stuff on ebay that's close to me. As for the DIY racks, anyone have linkage?

It looks like an SKB 16U shockmount case. You can barely make out the shock coils in the corners. Yeah those are around the $400+ mark. Try looking for a SKB 12U non-shock case. You can probably pick those under $200.

Awesome. Thanks a bunch! Also, are their any special requirements for using certain brand servers? Like rail specs or something?

ya dell servers are usually like 48" deep rails etc... you have to look tho it may have changed

Yeah like the others said pay close attention to the depth. We have a few dell's colo'ed here and they're really deep monsters

Wow, Dell Poweredges are expensive. So expensive that the Compaq's are looking better. Although I have to agree Dell's have better management utilities, the Compaq's are reasonably priced. So now I'm off to look around for a Compaq cabinet instead. :)

We've got 12 racks full of Dells here... The cable management arms (optional) adds to the depth. I would find a cabinet which extends out a ways beyond the rear rails so that you've got room for the cable management arms.

Since you're looking for a rack for a Dell PowerEdge, look for one which will accept Dell's rapid rails (i.e. a rack which uses cage nuts (you won't actually use the cage nuts for the Dell though) instead of threaded holes).

Back