Server Performance Monitoring

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
So you know how SBS 2003 and 2008 have the performance monitoring where it'll email you daily or whenever you set it for? Is there a way to do this on a regular server? IE - Server 03, 08, 08R2 Standard editions?If not, is there any free software that can be setup to do this? I'd just like a daily email that tells me any errors, if the backup ran that night, what the free space is, RAM usage, etc. I really love the SBS monitoring, but I have clients that had Standard instead of SBS and I'd love to monitor them as well.

With Server 2008 there are built-in tools (Reliability and Performance Monitor) and you can have it run various tasks when something occurs (send you a mesasge, start and app, etc). You can then set up a collector to gather all the reports from various 08 servers to one single server where you can review everything.

As for free tools you can set up an RRD type tool (I'm still playing around with Cacti myself) where once certain items you're monitoring hit or exceed thresholds you can fire off alert e-mails.

Do you have any guides on how to set that up? I really like the way SBS does it and also how HP servers do it for you as well.

Reliability and Perf Monitor is fairly straight forward. Just attach tasks (like in Task Scheduler) and follow the wizard.

All I'm seeing on my server at home (2K8R2) is performance monitor. I'm not seeing this reliability and performance monitor that everyone is talking about. I've been googling, but haven't found any good resources on how to setup something like SBS.

In R2 it is in the Action Center Maintenance under Control Panel. Alternatively you can just search for reliability in the start menu.

For vanilla 2008 it is an installable feature.

Back