Server/comms in finished or unfinished part of basement?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess I’ve decided the only way to alleviate my problems with the server in my office (noise & heat) is by biting the bullet and wiring my house for Ethernet. It will be a phased project, first to get our upstairs offices wired to a central point with the networking gear, and then when we remodel the basement, the rest of the drops will go in. The second phase will include wiring a central point on the main level for a WAP, the entertainment center, and my eventual basement office.

My basement is already finished, but done poorly. We want to re-do the mess, and add a bedroom/office down there. There is a sort of unfinished area that is a cross between unfinished room and crawl space. The entry door to the room is half-height (about), and the interior is probably 5-ish feet tall. The floor in the room is dirt with a plastic vapor barrier on top of it, and someone previously added a big carpet to cover the room. We use it mostly for storing cardboard, totes, and truck parts for the restoration I’m working on. It is insulated on the walls and ceiling, with one light and an HVAC vent that I keep closed. The main cable drop from the utility is redistributed from this room.

My question is, should I put all my network and comm gear inside the unfinished space, or in the finished space? Once a month I have to change out the backup drives, but otherwise have little physical interaction with the machine (I’ve thought about putting a passthrough port in the wall and mounting the backup drives in the finished space). Right now I just have a tower firewall & server, switch & modem. Eventually I’d like to move everything to a rack. I’m a little worried about dirt and bugs, but the room isn’t a dingy crawl space of old. The house was built in ’96, and if it weren’t for the lack of actual floor, the room would pretty much be equivalent to an unfinished basement. I actually have considered putting in a floor, but probably won’t go to the trouble. The office Ethernet (and probably garage) wiring will go through this room, and it would be pretty trivial to install a dedicated power circuit in the room. I wouldn’t take a lot of work to mount it in the finished space, but I like the idea of having the equipment out of the way. There’s a good chance we can leave the drywall on this wall when we refinish, so it would also minimize mess during that process for the equipment.

Normally, I have seen it not recommended installing hardware in crawl spaces, but this is nicer than a typical crawl space—and probably better than the garage that a lot of installs are in. We also live in a fairly dry environment, so I don’t really expect significant humidity and temp swings as the room is mostly under grade (I think).

There is nothing wrong to setup in crawled space, you have to make sure there is proper ventilation (in and out), and its not too tight for you to access it just in case.

My house have a finished basement but its pretty much wood, cement and insulation. I live in a rural part of canada so the winters are pretty rough and since everything is insulated, heated and the humidity is controlled, I never had a problem on that end.

Dont forget when you have a basement, you ''can'' be flooded so if you can rack it up in a proper height it could save you from having a very bad surprise.

I saw a post from someone leaving their stuff on very humid places and their cases started to be rusty. So I wouldnt recommend to put the equipment on dirt or sand...

All the gear will be off the floor, if not in a rack just on some sort of shelf. Our water main and sprinkler control is in there, but I'll put the gear in the opposite corner of the room from where that is. No overhead water where I plan to put it, it runs around the other side of the room.

There's good access to the room, I just have to get the folding chair because the door height is above my waist. I think temperature is pretty stable as it is mostly under grade. Our humidity overall is pretty stable as well. It spikes pretty bad when it rains for a short time if we have the house opened up, but that's fairly short term (and that area would not be open).

Just be sure you shield the water pipes in case anything ever bursts. I had a frost free hose burst on me as it froze anyway, which sent water about 15 feet everywhere. Missed my rack by inches.

Back