Security Device/Private Wifi Router.

Uvaman

Gawd
So I have been thinking, and besides hurting myself, I was thinking about an advanced wifi router for security.
I think if a small computer could be embedded to a wifi router and could do the following:
All the wifi connections would go to this computer first, this computer would then be the only one hard-wired to the internet access point.
I think by using some smart programming and hardware one could gain some privacy is this small computer. Make it report a new 'unique' device id that changes routinely (I am thinking this would require some hardware flashing and possible fast-rebooting), not only this, it could rotate between (paid) encryption services as well as DNS servers.
It would obviously not keep logs of connected devices, or would simply wipe them routinely.
I am thinking this could be a real product you know kickstarter-style.
I can see it being a fairly complicated product, but might not be too expensive, hardware wise it would probably use ARM hardware and be linux based.
Currently the WIFI access points log all kind of crap, the idea is to end this, and to make only one computer be in the access point, but one that changes identity all the time, with no logs, as well as shift your traffic all over the place.

You want security, but you want to wipe logs which are your only records of what actually happens?

So.... basically, you want to setup a router with a VPN tunnel to a paid VPN service?

(Or run your VPN exit point in the Amazon cloud, if you want to roll your own)

Pick pretty much any router distro, it's possible. Untangle works pretty well.
I believe that the Edgerouter Lite also includes VPN functionality. (because we have a [H]ard-on for Ubiquiti)

Logs. KEEP YOUR LOGS. Those are your records for whatever really happened. Kind of important.

Not sure what you're buying here. You don't trust your ISP but you trust the VPN provider? :rolleyes: If it is law enforcement fear you do realize that when the traffic is encrypted they can still see the destination of the encrypted packet and just as easily as they got a warrant to monitor the data at your home they can get a warrant for the far end?

Back