Securing My Data

hgsouth

n00b
Hey folks!

I'm usually a good googler, but I'm just not sure what to search for in this case. I'm wondering if anyone has any decent writeups on how to properly structure a PC in terms of keeping data safe.

For example, I want to store all my "my document" type folders on my second hard drive. I also want to ensure that everything is backed up properly on a schedule, and looking for the best way to do that.

I just got a new computer and before I start saving things left and right and getting it all messy I'm just looking for a good methodology to set it up correctly.

There must be someone out there who's super OCD about these things and has shared how they set it up :cool:

Now, do you mean securing data, as in putting it in a password locked folder, or just making backups? Also, how many users are on this PC?

If you want to store your User folder items on a second drive there is an easy way to do that. I'll tell you how I do it. First, go to the second hard drive and create a folder and name it. Then inside that create the folders that you want to be on this drive, i.e., Documents, Music, Downloads, Videos etc. After that, go to your c:\Users\Username and find the corresponding folder. Right click, go to Properties, then the Location tab. Click move and navigate to the new location to the matching folder on the 2nd drive. It should prompt you to copy files over. Now those folders will be on the second drive but you will still be able to access them as normal through Libraries.

At this point, you can either just copy that user folder off of the 2nd hard drive to an external to make a backup, or use a program like Allway Sync n Go to keep it synced with an external hard drive. They make a version just for externals and it's free. You install that version to the drive you want to back up to then when you're ready to sync, power it on and run it right from that drive.

Thanks! That helps. Looking to hear how people set their computers up.

I mean securing it as in making backups, not password protected. Sorry that wasn't too clear.

I will check out the program you recommended. :cool:

Back