Second HDD not reading???

Klawz

n00b
Yesterday, I helped build a friends computer, and well... here are the specs...

Asus A8n32 sli Deluxe
Asus ATI X1800XT VGA
Corsair 2gb XMS (LED lights) RAM
Sony DVD-RW
Some cheap brand of a DVD-ROM
WD 400GB 7,200rpm HDD
WD 36gb 10,000rpm HDD

Ok..... I hooked everything up, ran it, installed windows etc. BIOS read both HDD's, they are both SATA , so I hooked up the 36gb to SATA1, and the 400gb to SATA2, Since he want's the 36gb for XP and W.O.W. only!!!! Since he has wasted his life in that game! hahaha.

Well once I got everything running, he was in the process of installing his WOW, and we noticed that xp wasn't reading the 2nd HDD the 400gb? I can't figure out why, espcially if the BIOS is reading it just fine. I even have the boot priority 36gb,400gb,DVD-rom.

So I am just lost, I am currently at work, but I will try to answer any questions you may have about the setup from the top of my head. And of coarse as always, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

1st step: If it's a brand new build did you remember to partition the 400GB? Go to your drive manager (right click my computer -> manage -> drive managment) and make sure it's partitioned.

I just installed my WD4000KD last night. Partitioning took... ...a while. I'm really pleased with it otherwise. Fast, smooth, and almost inaudible.

I will try that, thank you.

Anything else that it could be if that is not the case?

Now that I think of it, no I didn't partion it, I just partioned the 36gb since it did that for the xp install.

as mentioned verify disk management sees it and its partitioned and formated

start > run > (type) diskmgmt.msc

Aye, IIRC you have to "Initialize" and then assign it a drive letter and such. This only has to be done once. (As in, if you leave the data on it, any other Windows install will read it right away since it already has a MFT and such.)

Back