Search fu weak, 5.1 question

bmartin

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
2,720
On my PC, I have a DVD playing on 5.1 source via VLC. It goes to my DAC, through my 5.1 receiver, which is on Matrix mode (Denon AVR1602). When I play anything, I hear near nothing from my rears.

5 channel stereo outputs fine, just not during movie play. I know matrix has the rears set lower, but still I hear nothing. Am I forgetting something like setting VLC to 5.1? I am setting it on receiver and movie menu.
 
Yes? You should have VLC audio channels set to 5.1 if it isn't already.
 
You have a DAC between your receiver and the digital out of the computer? I don't recall there being any standalone DACs that decode Dolby/DTS, so unless the DAC is set to passthrough you're probably losing the rear channels there.
 
You have a DAC between your receiver and the digital out of the computer? I don't recall there being any standalone DACs that decode Dolby/DTS, so unless the DAC is set to passthrough you're probably losing the rear channels there.

You can still set 5.1. You just can't set Dolby.
 
Back
Top