"Seamless" Networking??

irb

n00b
I want to network my computers so that I can share printer, share files, and most importantly run programs that are on one computer on another on the network..... Are there routers capable of doing all this? Is there something else I need to research

Without going into detail, a simple router (one you can buy at any retail store, BestBuy, Staples, even Wal-Mart) will allow you to start a small, simple network.

The computers you are trying to network, are they running Windows XP?

That is where your problem is going to lie....

Can you explain? or provide me some information so I can do research?

Is it impossible? Does it require some new hardware or something to that extent??

Without going into detail, a simple router (one you can buy at any retail store, BestBuy, Staples, even Wal-Mart) will allow you to start a small, simple network.

The computers you are trying to network, are they running Windows XP?

yes windows xp

It will allow you to control the other machine, problem being, when you control the other machine, someone can't use it at the same time... it is completely locked up.

ANY router that I have used will allow this.... you don't have to buy any special router to use Remote Desktop.

Remote desktop WILL allow you to use programs on another computer, but without it, 95% of programs will NOT work run over a network like that. It has to actually be installed on the local machine.... the DOS days are LONG gone! :)

Remote desktop WILL allow you to use programs on another computer, but without it, 95% of programs will NOT work run over a network like that. It has to actually be installed on the local machine.... the DOS days are LONG gone! :)

Thanks for answering my questions :)

This statement confuses me a little bit. Remote desktop will allow you to run programs..... but without remote desktop programs won't run over a network 95% of the time? So that means, as long as remote desktop is being used you can share programs?

Or do you mean 95% of programs won't run over the network with the remote desktop?

Thanks for answering my questions :)

This statement confuses me a little bit. Remote desktop will allow you to run programs..... but without remote desktop programs won't run over a network 95% of the time? So that means, as long as remote desktop is being used you can share programs?

Or do you mean 95% of programs won't run over the network with the remote desktop?

I mean that most all programs will NOT run over the network without remote desktop.... they have to be installed on the machine you are currently working on.

ANd with remote desktop you are actually controlling the other computer, you are not running the program in question on the machine you are sitting in front of.

Back