Sealed computer (dusty environ)

see page 1 . :p

If heavy is no issue , Puget systems has a much better option.

------

I'd still say a ducted air-to-air system could be built fairly easily.I need to make one myself so we'll see what happens.

:D

Well first off, you're in a terrible situation.

You need to realize that everything in a computer can create heat, even down the the copper wire on the motherboard. Minimal yes, but together - your motherboard, harddrives, back side of your GPU will all raise your internal ambient temperatures.

So if I was you, here is what I would do:

- Start out with any case.

- Put a 120mm fan exhaust in the back

- weld a steel plate across any inlets on the front of the case that you wont use. (This will be all fans, floppy, drive bays, except one.

-Insert your optical drive, use a silicon caulk to seal it.

Install the largest radiator you can fit in your case. Orientate the fans to pull in, like I do on my computer:
DSC00037.jpg

Weld the back panel onto the case.

Here is where it gets trickey.

The usable side door needs to basically fit into a rubber seal, kind of like a window on a car. I have no clue how to do this step.

Close case, put a flashlight inside. Silicon caulk any space you see light beaming through, except through the radiator or exhaust fan.

Finally get some sort of industrial filter such as this. Use this to cover your radiator up top.(silicon it sealed) Youll probably have to use some pretty hardcore fans to keep the dissipation high enough for your CPU/NB/GPU/Ram/HDD/Mosefts (or whatever you feel.

Thats about the best I can come up with man. Its expensive, its annoying, but in 40C ambient, you're talking about 60-70C load on CPU. I wouldnt trust air cooling. If you have stability issues, consider a TEC for your processor. They're huge hogs, but they will give you your performance demands.

I would build an air conditioned cabinet that you can simply place a regular computer inside. When you need to take the computer with you, simply remove it from the cabinet. Build the cabinet with plywood and line the inside with foam insulation panels. Use compression weatherstripping for the door. Find the smallest AC window unit you can find and mount it to the rear of the cabinet. Since these units typically recirculate air, it will simply cool the environment the PC is sitting in. For cabling, use a KVM and USB/Serial/Parallel extension cables. Hell, you could probably even intigrate an IO panel on the outside rear of the cabinet. This will allow you to seal the cable holes with RTV while still allowing you to easily disconnect peripherals.

The concept is similiar to the thermoelectric chamber but on a much cheaper scale. You can even bolt casters to the cabinet for mobility within the shop. The whole thing could probably be done for a few hundred bucks.

get get one of those zalman selent cases which dont use any fans but heatsinks.

even on the psu. problem solved. no air no dust.

make a chiller---- run blocks to cpu/gpu/ram/np/sb..... I have one being built by drewmesiter @ extremeoverclocking... If you did something like that then you would just have to make sure you have some sort of filter for the intake on the chiller.. But that would be easy enough... Plus you could keep that system running cool... I had to De-tune the unit i have being built so that is only chills to 10c.....It was built orig to run @ -15c.. lol..

Another way to go is that submerged system from peguet guys....http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php (watch the video) ... That would work well for you too ... Goodluck

just seal the damn thing and see what happens :)
but seriously..

i would build a custom metal case, weld everything shut, minus a side panel that you would seal
have all the components attached to or "touch" the case, using thick copper wire or whatnot
and then run the system for an hour or two
then build or buy heatsink "squares" for any really hot problem spots

just don't overvolt anything.. lol

good idea, but (1) stuff might still fly in and (2) i'm pretty sure those aren't designed to work in a 40c environment.

i don't see why getting a durable notebook and setting up a cheap plastic shroud around it wouldn't work.

get a small refrigerator, put the case in it. bolt heavy duty handles to the top of the fridge, chop a hole in the fridge and put a (SEALED!) bulkhead containing extended USB, Video, Network, and Power connectors.

That'll handle both cooling and sealing, allowing you to keep 100% 'unmodded' components. The USB is for keyboard/mouse, put 2 or 3 in to allow for external CD drives or what have you.

this is a one-evening job, plus some time for the gasketting/sealant for the bulkhead to cure.

Again, the fridge idea WILL NOT WORK.
Refrigerators are not designed to work against internal heat sources. You will break your fridge if you put something that produces the heat of a computer inside.

What about a submersed unit in a sealed container and a watercooling loop to cool the fluid?

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Dust_Protection_for_a_CNC_Computer.html

From contributor D:
This is too complicated guys. All you need to do is to connect a hose from your compressed air line into the box with a gate valve on it, then bleed a little air into the cabinet. As long as the air pressure inside the box is greater than the outside pressure, no dust gets in. Just ensure your air supply goes through a dryer so you are not pumping moisture into the enclosure. This works well with very little cost or maintenance.

http://www.dirtbag.biz/ - they make dirt bags for your comp

If I might offer a suggestion, do a watercooling setup, but watercool EVERYTHING, and then add large dust filters to the external radiators. You keep the dust out of the computer proper, and you can ocasionally take off the rad filters and dust it out.

i had a dream.. it involved a totally sealed machine.. a water tube.. an ice machine.. and the tubes running into the ice basin..

Build a plywood box big enough for the computer and the monitor, run ducts from outside for cooling air, and have clear flexible plastic sheeting for one side, so the buttons are still pushable, and the screen seeable, then it is in it's own atmosphere free of metal dust. You could also add some cheapo metal screen computer air filters, and wire fan grills on the outside, so mice, birds, bugs and such don't get in...

I have to do this same thing for my dad's computer at his shop soon...

Last edited:
how does any of this make it portable?

I say get a beefy desktop replacement laptop. The KVM and have that stuff near your station. When you have to be mobile you unhook the stuff and take the laptop somewhere else.

I have a bunch of plc controls for my refrigeration system throughtout many warehouses that have a desktop station interface under alot of differant temps.We use dell towers and all I can say is clean them out once a month the temp hasnt really affected them much but the moisture killed one. We put that one in a heated nema encloser and its been running since 2002 no probs.

Back