[Scratchbuild] Platinum Edition - SFF Dual CPU Work Station

ruairi

n00b
xtEQ4.png

First post here over at [H] :D Dont know what else to say so I'll jump right in :D
About the project;
In brief:
This project was hatched when I brought a rather unusual Motherboard off John Morrison (a.k.a confusis) the Supermicro X7DWT a half SSI (16.5*41.6cm) dual socket motherboard. The board was a perfect candidate for a small form factor workstation build. The build gets it name from planned monochrome chrome and black exterior.
Explained:
Platinum Edition was designed as a movie editing and 3d Rendering workstation, for my work in indie films, computer modding and architectural design. The dimensions of the build are roughly 225mm W 450mm D 185mm H or just a little bit under 19 litres (the Intel SFF specification). This will be a scratch build made out of aluminium and glass. The colour theme will predominantly monochrome, with the exterior design being black and chrome. The design has been heavily influenced by Art Deco and Diesel Punk architecture and design. I will be placing a strong emphasis on silence, something usually neglected in server builds. I will be using 80mm Towers for the CPU's and aftermarket cooling for the GPU (I have allocated space for triple slot coolers in the design)

Specs:
CPU - Intel Xeon L5420 * 2 (overclocked using old school taped pin method to 3.00GHZ)
Motherboard - Supermicro X7DWT
Ram - 8GB DDR2 667 FB-Dimms
GPU - Sapphire HD 5670 with artic cooling cooler (temp)
PSU - Silverstone essentials 500w*
Coolers - Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS * 2

* Run down of power usage; PSU has 408w of 12v power available (board runs solely off of 12v) CPU's are 60w * 2 overclocked. Chipset is 30 + 10w. Ram is 8w * 8w. HDD/SSD under 10w. Total : 234w. Leaving 174w Available for GPU. Why not leaves some headroom? Because power supply's operate much less efficiently when below 20% of there total output, by choosing a PSU that will keep the system power consumption in an optimal range I will save money in electricity over the life of the PC.
b6hwk.png

Ti2UH.jpg

PIbyH.jpg

pskoX.jpg

Modding started, first panels cut to size out off 3mm Aluminium (Tip: Get ripped in 30 days, become a manual case builder.. filing :rolleyes: )

Silverstone 500w PSU, primed and ready for sleeving.
OcDMH.jpg

Modified 20 Pin connector for funky motherboard, thing i'll go with Black and Grey MKII, with maybe a hint of B-Magic, those empty slots bug me a bit, so I might have some dummy cables there :)
yOdbn.jpg

You all know what this means :D
N5yKl.jpg

jOsCq.jpg

O8z3R.jpg

AMph0.jpg

PSU Sleeving started ( going slowly :think: )
MDPC Kitteh :D
8ysDb.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that's a really cool concept. Very architectural. Looking forward to seeing this progress!

What material will go behind the 3 aluminum bands? Mesh or plex?

Oh, that's a really cool concept. Very architectural. Looking forward to seeing this progress!

What material will go behind the 3 aluminum bands? Mesh or plex?

Thanks!

I'm thinking black powder coated hex mesh, with possibly a black noise blocking or dust filtering foam behind that.
where did you get that mb? im guessing duel xeon? and what is this going to be used for just wondering

I brought it from a forum member over at Losias.net, and I believe he bought it from the Evooolbay.

Sorry missed that part :eek:
It will be used for rendering, editing indie films and folding.

I will be going with all 2.5" Storage, mounted underneath the motherboard tray :)

Minor update, cut some 12mm aluminium angle and put some of the pieces together for a little mockup :)
dhIu.jpg

QWoB4.jpg

Hna0m.jpg

2F6Zg.jpg

Last edited:
Back