SBS 2011 - Hanging on Welcome - Any Ideas?

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I do not want to format a server this weekend and re-do a domain on Monday.

I have a client that has a newer Dell T310 - 8GB - Xeon 2.4, SBS 2011.

Just went to a clients to move the office from one building to the other, couldn't log into the server so went to the terminal and saw the machine wasn't responsive in windows - users still able to access files and Quickbooks. I had to force shut down the machine.

Now I fire it up, it gets to the login screen, and when I log in it gets stuck on the welcome screen. I can get into safe mode, i do not see any errors in event viewer that jump out. Hard drive lights are blicking like crazy at the welcome screen. But still can't get into it, and then the machine seems to lock up.

Memory test is fine. Safe Mode seems fine, or atleast responsive.

May have some failed updates, but can't get into Regular mode to restore.

Any ideas?

what's been installed since the last reboot? any MS updates? uninstall them from safe mode if you can and start from there. Set any custom app services to manual (like quickbooks).

Can't uninstall from Safe Mode, gives error about Windows Installer.

On 2/29 Exchange Rollup 6 and Rollup for SBS.

I know with SBS2008 sometimes when IPV6 was turned off the server wouldn't allow you to get to login on the box. It would just sit and spin saying application starting.

So after rebooting again, now server is back at office. I am able to log in. The console pops up and seems to hang, I see Personalized Settings - Setting up personalized settings for Windows Desktop Update and its just sitting on this. Can't load explorer.

I'd also disable exchange & sql services, try to get down to bare bones and see if you can get in.

It's a domain controller?

Make sure DNS is working properly. If it can't see DNS, or the zones are broken or the special AD entries missing, the active directory part won't work. It'll probably boot into active directory recovery mode though, which might let you troubleshoot DNS.

its sbs 2011, so it is a DNS box. DNS is working from what I can tell, when it gets to the login screen the other machines on the network can get online and browse the server.

I disabled some services (logmein, cyberpower, etc) and was able to log in and see the desktop but I just have an hourglass and its frozen again.

very odd.

Try booting up safe mode WITH networking support..double check your TCP/IP settings. I've seen the broadcom NICs in those lower end servers have wonky drivers and hose their IP settings. If the server ain't looking at itself for DNS...you know the drill.

Also may try looking into the windowsupdate.log file and see if something is tanking.

its sbs 2011, so it is a DNS box. DNS is working from what I can tell, when it gets to the login screen the other machines on the network can get online and browse the server.

I disabled some services (logmein, cyberpower, etc) and was able to log in and see the desktop but I just have an hourglass and its frozen again.

very odd.

Can you ctrl alt del ?

i could not ctrl alt del when it had hour glass.

just disabled everything non microsoft to see what that does.

next restart ill check the nic settings.

update in a few

and broadcom are standard on all the dells from the t110 up. drivers are up to date, bios was upgraded as well.

on applying computer settings after reboot, waiting for login screen.

NOT WHAT I WANTED TO DEAL WITH ON FRIDAY AT 6:14.....

logs in and now on Applying Group Policy Drive Maps policy.

Next spot is DNS. I haven't seen DNS cause this much freeze up, just slow login. Will update.

and broadcom are standard on all the dells from the t110 up.

But Intel Pro's are an option! ;)

Guessing this is what your phone call was that I missed...I was out in the garage.
Out of other ideas...maybe except check the RAID...and the drives. I noticed you said it was an "office move"...so I guess the server was powered down..and relocated.and powered up. Seen servers that have run reliably for years....act up if they're powered down and cooled off and then powered up. Also check all connections inside..thermal creep.

couldn't wait on the GPO to finish, restarted back in safe mode. Checking NIC properties. Very slow pulling up NIC properties. !!!!

Server IP - 192.168.10.10
DNS was set to 192.168.10.10, changed to 127.0.0.1

IP6 Enabled.

Server IP - 192.168.10.10
DNS was set to 192.168.10.10, changed to 127.0.0.1

No difference in the DNS really....being old school I actually do the prior one. SBS wizard recently changed to the local host address. Either one..no difference.

yeah, couldn't change GPO in safe mode either.

any other suggestions?

Have you tried unplugging the ethernet cable and booting without a network connection?

What AV is running? Had NOD32 lock an SBS2011 up tight randomly w/XMON. Drove me insane for about a month.....

Not 100% sure, I think some update was causing an issue. I disabled every non ms service and startup and was getting further in windows but still hanging, I did a few force shutdowns and eventually it got into Windows and it popped up with the "you recently installed updates". But was still not responsive one more force shutdown and she was good. Did Windows update applied another roll up for sbs and it was fine.

Very odd. Havet seen an update do that in a long time

Most likely your MS Exchange system attendant service is hanging on start. Normally its due to a DNS issue.

Disable all exchange services, boot normally, then start the system attendant and any other dependencies. Look in the event log to see what the issue is.

Back