SBS 2008 RC0 is out for public preview

Review the system requirements to determine the minimum and recommended system requirements needed to run Windows Small Business Server 2008, Standard Edition, and Premium Edition Release Candidate 0 (RC0). Windows Small Business Server 2008 supports a maximum of 75 users or devices.

For those installing the Public Preview software:
The Public Preview software is being made available so you may test and explore the software. As this is not final release code, you may not test the software in a live operating environment.

For those planning to migrate from SBS 2003 R2 to SBS 2008: A smooth migration to new software/hardware is what’s most important for small businesses. Our research shows small businesses purchase new hardware with software infrastructure upgrades. Therefore, we have focused on providing guidance, wizards, and automation for fast, easy migration to SBS 2008 on new hardware. For the migration scenario from SBS 2003 R2 to SBS 2008, a manual migration will be required. More information will be provided in the future.
First Server:

Processor:
Recommended: 2 GHz or faster
Memory:
Recommended: 4 GB RAM
Maximum: 32 GB
Available Disk Space:
Minimum: 60 GB
Second Server:

Processor:
Recommended: 2 GHz (x86 and x64 processors) and 1 GHz (IA64) or faster
Memory:
Recommended: 2 GB RAM
Available Disk Space:
12.2 GB of available hard-disk space
Both Servers:

Network Card: Ethernet network interface card from the windows server catalog
Internet: Some Internet functionality may require Internet access (fees may apply) and a Windows Live ID Account
Fax Modem: Fax Services require fax modem
Supported Client Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition SP2 or later; Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate; Windows Mobile 5.0 or later

-DVD-ROM drive
-Super-VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution monitor
-Keyboard and Microsoft® Mouse or compatible pointing device
-Internet access (fees may apply)

Actual requirements will vary based on your system configuration and the applications and features you choose to install. Processor performance is dependent upon not only the clock frequency of the processor, but also on the number of cores and the size of the processor cache. Disk space requirements for the system partition are approximate. Additional available hard-disk space may be required if you are installing over a network.

I find those requirements rediculous. :mad:

I could run an equivalent Linux server on a quarter of that power that thing has for "recommended".

lol "equivalent"?

be careful how you thread crap in the Networking & Security forums, you'll find the people here generally back up their words and can think logically and objectively...

^^ bingo!

love to see a linux set up that could handle all that SBS could, including a back end mail system like exchange (which is the big resource hog for that OS anyways pending on usage)

are they including ISA 2003 in it?

if it is a matter of efficiency, from what i've heard 2k8 is actually more efficient than 2k3... there are even options to run without GUI from what i understand

if it is a matter of efficiency, from what i've heard 2k8 is actually more efficient than 2k3... there are even options to run without GUI from what i understand

yes, you can run 2008 in a "core" install that has no GUI. You either manage it from a command-line or you can use MMCs on other machines to manage it, provided you have enabled that management from the CLI. Its funny, you can RDP into a server core and you get that silly vista/2008 backdrop and login, then you login and get a command prompt. The only GUI type thingy is the Task Manager.

I could run an equivalent Linux server on a quarter of that power that thing has for "recommended".

Seriously? You can find everything that is equivalent to SBS 2008 in a linux flavor and run it all on a 500MHz box with 1GB of RAM and 15GB HDD space??? Exchange equivalent email server, web-mail, remote web workplace, SQL server, windows update server, the lite version of MOM, SharePoint equivalent, directory service, GPOs, folder redirection, the list goes on....

Don't get me wrong, I love linux and I use it daily for different things. The fact is there is NO linux equivalent of SBS that does EVERYTHING that SBS does. ClarkCOnnect comes close . . ..

ROFL!

As mentioned above..the only *nix server you'll find that comes close to SBS is Clark Connect. And..uhm....their "minimum requirements"..well, lets just say it's hardly "a quarter" of what SBS recommends.
Proof ==> http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/requirements.php
And..again, those are CCs "minimum requirements"...which is always lower than "recommended".

Alright, back on task here . . . . :D

Anyone plan on downloading and testing this bad boy? I am downloading now and I have a lovely HP DL380 G4 with 2x 3.6GHz Xeons and 4GB of RAM sitting here waiting for the download to finish . . . .

Yeah probably fire it up at home to dork around w/it. I'll be interested in the upgrade process...I see they favor moving to new hardware instead of doing an in place upgrade. Bummer.

I have on non-profit client...current SBS2K3 server is an old PowerEdge SC600 (ugh..barely a glorified desktop PC)...software RAID on IDE...(double UGH) a law firm donated a nice 3-ish year old Proliant ML350...RAID 5 yada yada....

At first I tried a VMWare P to V....but she's failing...gets to around 20% and errors out. Probably too much corruption from several lockups their older server had.

So now I'm torn...go for the swing it now....or cross fingers and try to hope current old server squeezes by the summer till Cougar is officially out and they get it from TechSoup (so what's that...realistically Q3/Q4)

Don't forget that only only the 64bit version is supported in production environments. Although personally I'm waiting for Essential Business Server(s). Hopefully it will come with Hyper-V so that it would be possible to use less physical servers.

Read below.

No, you can't.

Yep.

^^ bingo!

love to see a linux set up that could handle all that SBS could, including a back end mail system like exchange (which is the big resource hog for that OS anyways pending on usage)

are they including ISA 2003 in it?

ISA has been removed from small business server. In the heroes happen event they mentioned how no one used it. I laughed because you really couldn't use it and exchange on the same box without running out of memory in sbs03.

Alright, back on task here . . . . :D

Anyone plan on downloading and testing this bad boy? I am downloading now and I have a lovely HP DL380 G4 with 2x 3.6GHz Xeons and 4GB of RAM sitting here waiting for the download to finish . . . .

I'm thinking of loading it on a home test box. Got my 2.4 core2 xeon system with a hardware raid controller(intel srcsas18e) and 5 320 gig sata drives that I'm debating on testing it on(have a legit license of 08 server to throw on it but might to sbs for the time being).

I'm really looking forward to this new sbs. One thing that gets me is they gave out the pricing at the last ms event. Price of sbs std was like right at a grand and sbs pre was like $1800. I know those are retail prices but it still seems it will be pretty expensive compaired to 03. Price is still good just not as good as it was.

Got my SBS box up and running last night...man it's a beast. For all of the lean-mean Windows Server 2008 installs...I think 8GB's of RAM might be recommended for a production environment for SBS.

yeah, I heard they really dicked with the pricing. Not sure why they did that. Oh well. Perhaps SBS got too popular or soemthing....

I would love to hear more feedback from people who try it out. Unless it offers significant improvements I see no reason to recommend my clients pony up the increased cost to upgrade.

Does this preview expire at any point? I'll probably end up using it around Christmas time.

I have no idea on expiration, I would download it and copy the keys down while its still up, though. Unless you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription. :D

ill mess around with this next week or so, but for some reason these poweredge 2650 that i have here had a hard time loading Server 2008, took like 40 minutes to get past one part, not to sure what it was, haven't had much time to tinker.

ill mess around with this next week or so, but for some reason these poweredge 2650 that i have here had a hard time loading Server 2008, took like 40 minutes to get past one part, not to sure what it was, haven't had much time to tinker.

Those will not take sbs08. It will only run on a 64bit server.

To Captain Colonoscopy on the pricing. I mean sbs03 was like 800 bucks for retail. So for them to say 08 is going to be a grand it isn't too bad. I'm hoping OEM will be a few hundred less. As far as the Premium version since it is a 2 server license I under stand them upping the price. Untill the oem pricing comes out though it is anyone guess.

Back