SBS 2003 - SBS 2008 Migration

Vitamin_uk

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Just a quick one.

I have a client who I am about to start their migration from SBS2003 - 2008. In a branch office they have a 2000 terminal server as a member server. Is this going to affect the migration of 2003 - 2008? The reason I ask is I have obviously have to rasie the functional level of both domain and forest. I believe this only applys to domain controllers which this being an SBS network they only have the one.;)

I will be decomissing that server soon but I would like to get the upgrade of the SBS server completed.

If anyone could clarify that would be great.

Sam

As long as your 2000 box is NOT a domain controller, you should be fine. I would however, upgrade that 2000 box soon, its very long in the tooth

Yup thought as much. Yes will do the old sbs2003 box will be replacing it as its not used by many people.

To confirm, raising the functional level of the domain affects the domain controllers, and the types of trusts you can create with other domains/forests; it does not affect the member servers (except by adding functionality).

Note, you do not have raise to 2008 functional level unless there are some specific 2008 related features you want to use. 2008 will happily function at a 2003 functional level domain controller.

Back