Save me from this POS wifi card

Feileung

Limp Gawd
I've got a god awful wi-fi card that forces me to reconnect frequently. I need a new card before my computer goes out the window.

I found one on newegg w/great reviews (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041) and it's dirt cheap. However, the only negative reviews come from people saying it doesn't work in Vista 64, which I'm about to install.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid card that will give me good, reliable performance and not come at too high a price? In the absence of that, how about a great card under $100?

Thanks!

I'd recommend my discontinued Hawking adapter (absolutely destroys the PCI cards I had before)...but Vista x64 pretty much eliminates that possibility. I think your best bet is probably a wireless bridge via DD-WRT (using something like an Asus WL-520GU).

Heck, I'd do that now, but my Hawking adapter is still getting my <20ms pings and great performance, so until I move to Vista I won't need to do that just yet.

I liked my Gigabyte GN-WP01GS until it randomly died on me the other day. I had it for roughly 2 years, so considering I spent around $20 shipped, not too bad a deal. $17 + shipping at Newegg. No issues with Vista 64bit, just get the latest drivers from Gigabyte's site before installing it, because the drivers on the disc do not support Vista.

Since it died I bought a Netgear WPN311 (cheapest card I could get locally -- I've seen nothing but trouble with USB based WiFi devices) and it has worked without issue using Vista's integrated configuration software, so I can only assume all of those giving it a bad review on Newegg tried to use the Netgear configuration software. It was $40 locally, but I see Newegg wants $50 for it.

Back