Satellite dish for wireless antenna

supervette

n00b
Picked up a direct tv dish. uses rj 59, network antennas use 58, i can get the converter. Any thoughts on how well it should work as a directional antenna? Might even motorize to adjust degrees. What can I use for a inline amp though if anything due to the 40 foot run to the roof?

Trango Broadband gear uses SatDishes for directionally concentrating there signals. That is in conjunction with there 5.8GHz FOX Subscirber Units... I have gotten about 12 miles (Clear LOS) with an SU+Dish.

I dont see why not really. Dont ask me about the amp though, cant help you lol

I used to install Motorola Canopy.... we used to use satellite dishes all the time for increased signal..... point the SM back towards the dish, and point the dish towards the tower(AP), and almost double the signal.

QJ

40Feet of 58 or 59? Yeah, you'll need something to push the signal. I wouldn't typically use any more than a few feet with either. 58 and 59 is pigtail cable, not a transmission run cable. I would strongly consider replacing the cable, not buyin an amp. For 40 feet LMR400 should do. Cheaper equivalent is Beldin 9913. Both are within margin for 40 feet. Your ends need to be good though. Amps are an absolute last resort. Radio fry-age if they are bi-directional. Eventually anyway. Not a given but make the radio much um......more fragile.

A dish is predominately for reception. Won't hurt your transmission power but it won't help nearly as much as for reception. What's on the other end of the link?

Back