SATA2 RAID card, preferably PCI-e

crystalline

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
84
i'm looking for a PCI-e SATA card with at least 4 ports... at the moment i don't actually intend on running a RAID array, i just need it for the additional SATA ports. however, performance/throughput is still a primary concern, and i would like a card with as little overhead as possible. i also plan on dual booting to experiment with various linux distributions in the future, so device/driver compatibility in this regard is also very important. i'd be willing to spend maybe 200-300 at the most. i appreciate any input you may have to offer!
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816116042

Good card with 4 ports, hardware RAID, can't beat the brand. A little more than what you budgeted but IMHO well worth it.

If you have to have it cheaper than brands like highpoint/adaptec etc have PCI express 4 port cards.

*I should point out this is a multi-lane card, meaning you need a cable to connect all the drives to it.
 
i'm looking for a PCI-e SATA card with at least 4 ports... at the moment i don't actually intend on running a RAID array, i just need it for the additional SATA ports.[...]
i also plan on dual booting to experiment with various linux distributions in the future, so device/driver compatibility in this regard is also very important. i'd be willing to spend maybe 200-300 at the most. i appreciate any input you may have to offer!

I suggest either of these models:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16816115029,N82E16816115027

about 1/3 of the price of the 3ware card. And since you are not looking for RAID, they should be more than adequate. Plus you are future-proofing with a giant wad of cash
 
Keep in mind that those two highpoint cards do not offer hardware acceleration.
 
I've seen the Areca 1210 selling used for around that price, and if you're lucky might be able to find it new for close to 300$. I think someone is in our forums selling it.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816116042

Good card with 4 ports, hardware RAID, can't beat the brand. A little more than what you budgeted but IMHO well worth it.

If you have to have it cheaper than brands like highpoint/adaptec etc have PCI express 4 port cards.

*I should point out this is a multi-lane card, meaning you need a cable to connect all the drives to it.

feature-wise, that seems like a very nice card, although i'm a bit skeptical of the multi-lane cable it uses... apparently the multilane connector uses "breakout cables" in order to connect to each specific sata device? i had put a lot of effort into a meticulous wiring job in my case, and not sure how that'll end up affecting it. i'd probably jump on a similar revision of the card if they make one that uses normal SATA connectors.

still need to look into it a little more i guess, maybe i'll end up going with it.
 
feature-wise, that seems like a very nice card, although i'm a bit skeptical of the multi-lane cable it uses... apparently the multilane connector uses "breakout cables" in order to connect to each specific sata device? i had put a lot of effort into a meticulous wiring job in my case, and not sure how that'll end up affecting it. i'd probably jump on a similar revision of the card if they make one that uses normal SATA connectors.

still need to look into it a little more i guess, maybe i'll end up going with it.


Sorry, I always use the 5.25" backplanes that fit four 3.5" hdds into 3x5.25 bays, they have a multilane cable on the back, so only one cable for all 4 drives.

Much cleaner and easier, especially when you have to change a drive.
 
sorry to point out, but the 'multilane cable/connector' is becoming the standard and it wont be long till that is all that is. it is going to be very difficult to hide 4~6 cables heading to sata drives off a pci/pci-e card .
 
Ebay has TONS of Dell PERC 5/i SAS RAID cards.. They are PCI-e x8 and support RAID with SAS and SATA 1/2 drives (but not mixed).

You can get them for about $150. I have one and it's awesome..

Riley
 
Crystal.. I definitely recommend an Areca if you can afford one or find one cheap.

Sorry, I always use the 5.25" backplanes that fit four 3.5" hdds into 3x5.25 bays, they have a multilane cable on the back, so only one cable for all 4 drives.

Much cleaner and easier, especially when you have to change a drive.

which backplane are you using?
 
sorry to point out, but the 'multilane cable/connector' is becoming the standard and it wont be long till that is all that is. it is going to be very difficult to hide 4~6 cables heading to sata drives off a pci/pci-e card .

I was running 13 sata drives in a midtower just fine. zip ties FTW. ;)

ML internal backplanes aren't that readily available yet. Currently I use 3x supermicro 5x3 hotswap backplanes.
 
i'm looking for a PCI-e SATA card with at least 4 ports... at the moment i don't actually intend on running a RAID array, i just need it for the additional SATA ports. however, performance/throughput is still a primary concern, and i would like a card with as little overhead as possible. i also plan on dual booting to experiment with various linux distributions in the future, so device/driver compatibility in this regard is also very important. i'd be willing to spend maybe 200-300 at the most. i appreciate any input you may have to offer!

$200-300's really not enough to get SATA speeds. I'd budget at least $1MM for a real solution.
 
Crystal.. I definitely recommend an Areca if you can afford one or find one cheap.



which backplane are you using?

I use ones that are made by netstor, but I don't remember where I bought them. Do a search for SAS ones instead, they are interchangeable and you are more likely to find them under that description.


edit* Model number looks like NS155A. Could be wrong though. And they're ugly, beige and blue.
 
Back
Top