SATA & Win XP Problems

KrakenGuy

Gawd
Ok, I have a problem.

I can't get Windows XP Pro to recognize a SATA drive. I can see it in the bios raid controller, but I can only reformat it from that.

Can someone help me?

I'm on an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. Thank you.

You may have to load SATA drivers on your system before Windows will recognize the drive. Also, if the drive is >120GB (160?) then you have to have XP Service Pack 1 in order for Windows to recognize it properly.

You may need to move HDD's to SATA 3-6 and use 1 and 2 for dvd/cd SATA drives. I have a Abit MAX 3 and SATA 1 and 2 are SI 3114 and then 3 threw 6 are intell chipset. Well i bout a SATA dvd burner (PLEXTOR PX-716SA/SW) and it would only work on the SI 3114 chipset, which was SATA 1 and 2. So i moved my RAID0 to the intel SATA 3 and 4. hope this helps.

And yes i had to load both chipset drivers when installing windows xp.

boot from the cd like normal.. and hit F6 during the install to install additional drivers.

Keep your eyes open it appears at the bottom of the screen during the initial windows installation screens and can zip by quickly if you dont notice it telling you...also remember that you'll need these drivers on a floppy in install them, they should come with the mobo

hulksterjoe said:
boot from the cd like normal.. and hit F6 during the install to install additional drivers.

Keep your eyes open it appears at the bottom of the screen during the initial windows installation screens and can zip by quickly if you dont notice it telling you...also remember that you'll need these drivers on a floppy in install them, they should come with the mobo
Do this, but you should first disable the RAID functionality and use the ports as standard SATA ports, since you only have one drive.

My BIOS blows, it won't let me disable them as RAID.

Yesterday, I had it showing up in windows, but I couldn't access it or see it. I knew it was recognize because I could see it under the hardware tab after clicking properties on the main drive, but it was recognized as a SCSI drive (WTF?).

So I reformatted the main drive and reinstalled windows.

The problem with hitting F6 for extra SATA drivers, is that my motherboard never came with any of those drivers.

KrakenGuy said:
My BIOS blows, it won't let me disable them as RAID.

Yesterday, I had it showing up in windows, but I couldn't access it or see it. I knew it was recognize because I could see it under the hardware tab after clicking properties on the main drive, but it was recognized as a SCSI drive (WTF?).

So I reformatted the main drive and reinstalled windows.

The problem with hitting F6 for extra SATA drivers, is that my motherboard never came with any of those drivers.

Seeing them as SCSI drives is normal. If your motherboard didn't come with drivers, you just go download them from the motherboard's site. Simple as that

*goes to download SATA drivers*

Oooof, ASUS's download area isn't working right now.

What really makes this confusing for me, is the fact that 2 days before buying my sister a new harddrive, I was using my SATA drive on her computer without the use of any drivers. Then when her new harddrive was put in, nothing would show up or load off of it.

KrakenGuy said:
*goes to download SATA drivers*

Oooof, ASUS's download area isn't working right now.
When aren't they not working? :rolleyes:
They have the least reliable website I have ever been to. :mad:

It was giving me errors when I tried to access their downloads section.

Anyways, I can't figure out why this drive won't show up on my sisters computer.

For shits and giggles, I unplugged her SATA drive and then plugged mine in to see what would happen. Lo and behold, my drive worked.

Why can't I get hers to show up in My Computer?

Used the same power cable and same SATA cable for both drives (at different times of course). Nothing has changed. The 2nd SATA drive won't show up, but mine will.

This is really confusing for me.

Problem resolved.

Went to Seagate.com and looked around for some help (wish I thought of that first =\), found WizardDisk, downloaded it, installed it, used it.

Boom, now its working.

Thanks for your ideas and such.

Back