Sata vs scsi

Hey, i'm interested in getting sata hdds for a new machine. Specificly the WD 36GB 10k rpm hdds (maybe 2 to put in RAID). They'll pretty much be for gaming and downloading, storing, and playing assorted media as well as large programs.

However, I know nothing about scsi other than it's expensive. If it's only slightly more costly, and a noticable increase in performance, i wouldn't mind shelling out for scsi. Is anyone in the know of what the score is nowadays in SCSI vs SATA?

Check out the benchmarks at storagereview.com

IMO, you will not see a noticable difference in performance between a Raptor and SCSI in the desktop. I would just stick with SATA.

I recently purchased the 7200.7 you see in my sig and I love it. Performs really fast, I use it for gaming downloads ect... I love it, its quiet too, I hear the raptors aren't that quiet but anyway

A good place to find out more info is www.storagereview.com

I own 2 Raptors and love them, when you setup the RAID array, make sure you set your Cluster and Stripe size to around 32K, this way you can take advantage of the speed for realworld applications.

Also, my Raptors are whisper quiet. I don't hear a sound out of them while they are seeking. I don't know why so many people think they are loud. Maybe they aren't tightening the screws and they're getting vibrations throughout the case from them.

In the end I highly recomend the Raptor

:D :cool: :D

Originally posted by VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVI
Check out the benchmarks at storagereview.com

IMO, you will not see a noticable difference in performance between a Raptor and SCSI in the desktop. I would just stick with SATA.

If you spring for one of the latest 15k model drives but Seagate, Fujitsu, or Maxtor then you certainly will notice a difference in speed of the machine compared to a Raptor drive. With prices the way they are for these newer 74gb Raptor drives it may even be cheaper to go with SCSI.

Serial ATA and SCSI drives are still for completely different markets. As much as Western Digital wants to make a second run in the SCSI market with its Raptors, I don't see them making a big impression since its performance in enterprise and server applications is unremarkable. On the desktop, the Raptor performs very well, comparable to just about every 10- and 15k RPM SCSI drive.

For your uses, I don't even think you should buy a Raptor. Downloading, storing, and playing media are very easily handled by 7200 RPM drives or even some 5400 RPM units. You'll derive no benefit from a Raptor or fast SCSI drive. With games, you may notice an improvement in game loading times, especially if you don't have a lot of RAM, but framerates aren't affected at all.

I agree with xonik
(thats nothing new :p )

where you would see a need in a desktop machine, would be the typical workstation level aps, Video editing, Graphics, Animation Rendering, Scientific Modeling ect.

but youd still be better served increasing your RAM first.

All SATA seems to be is fast. Yay.

I like the fact that I could have three SCSI hard drives, two optical drives, and an external enclosure running off of the same card.

Point being, SATA has nil for flexibility; one drive per channel, and only hard drives are supported. :rolleyes:

Long live interface flexibility and gobs of bandwidth.

i foudn that a 16K cluster size was the fastest for me. BUt, we all do different things on our boxes.

I can't wait till serial scsi comes out, run both serial scsi and sata drives off the same card, using the same type of cables :cool:

Back