• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandy Bridge processors back on newegg

Is there a difference between a 2600 and a 2600k? Newegg has each one listed, same exact specs and same model # with just a K at the end of the one. The one without the K is 299. The one with the K is 329.
 
2600 - Intel® HD Graphics 2000
2600K - Intel® HD Graphics 3000

2600 - Trusted Execution Tech
2600K - No Trusted Execution Tech
 
So, let's see if we can get this in one easy to read place.

GRAPHICS: REQUIRES AN H67 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD
2600 - Intel® HD Graphics 2000
2600K - Intel® HD Graphics 3000

VIRTUALIZATION:
2600 - VT-x, VT-d
2600K - VT-x

TRUSTED EXECUTION:
2600 - Trusted Execution Tech
2600K - No Trusted Execution Tech

OVERCLOCKING: REQUIRES A P67 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD
2600 - Can increase base multiplier by +4
2600K - Can increase base multiplier by +unlimited
 
Hi,

Unfortunately, I am not really sure how VT-d and trusted Execution affects the CPU.

Do you have any links that could explain this in more detail?

I am currently looking at the 2600, but other than overclocking, I see no real benefit to the 2600K. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
 

Hehe...Guess I deserved that.

For me this seems to be more useful when running VMs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the 2600K is aimed at gaming, while with the 2600 is aimed at your other users.

If I could ask another question, I will occasionally be running backtests on stock portfolios. Due to the logic and the step-by-step nature of these tests, they generally run on a single thread. Thus, if I buy the 2600K and overclock it for this occasional use, is there something I am missing out on?

For this PC, other than running the backtests, I will probably have 6 to 10 instances of a trading program running 24-7. This is not very CPU-intensive and as such for this, there is no need for over-clocking. Don't really see it running any other applications.
 
Hehe...Guess I deserved that.

For me this seems to be more useful when running VMs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the 2600K is aimed at gaming, while with the 2600 is aimed at your other users.

If I could ask another question, I will occasionally be running backtests on stock portfolios. Due to the logic and the step-by-step nature of these tests, they generally run on a single thread. Thus, if I buy the 2600K and overclock it for this occasional use, is there something I am missing out on?

No, you've got it right. Sandy Bridge is a fantastic processor for those annoying single-threaded apps, because the 2600K will (stock) turbo to 3.8 GHz when running a single thread (+ 5 multiplier). If you change the base multiplier (overclock), turbo mode will still boost the processor +5 multiplier when running your backtest.

Thus, a small overclock to say 4 GHz (base clock) will give your backtests 4.5 GHz performance.
 
No, you've got it right. Sandy Bridge is a fantastic processor for those annoying single-threaded apps, because the 2600K will (stock) turbo to 3.8 GHz when running a single thread (+ 5 multiplier). If you change the base multiplier (overclock), turbo mode will still boost the processor +5 multiplier when running your backtest.

Thus, a small overclock to say 4 GHz (base clock) will give your backtests 4.5 GHz performance.

Thanks. I've read up some more about this, and it seems to be for my needs the K will probably be the better option. Now I just wish I could get my hands on a motherboard! :D
 
Hi,

Unfortunately, I am not really sure how VT-d and trusted Execution affects the CPU.

Do you have any links that could explain this in more detail?

I am currently looking at the 2600, but other than overclocking, I see no real benefit to the 2600K. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

VT-d is of major import to the application-virtualization/VM crowd if they have applications that require major I/O needs (biggest users - virtual servers, such as XENWORKS). Normally, this is of little concern to the desktop crowd unless they are developers.

TXT, however, is an *old* technology - it goes all the way back to the early days of the Core microarchitecture, and acts as the antithesis to XD (eXecute Disable). Normally, the two are found together, especially on LGA775 CPUs down to even certain Celerons (my Celeron DC E1200 supports both XD and TXT, though it lacks support for VT-x), and it stands for Trusted eXecution Technology (and goes hand-in-hand with the Trusted Platform Module, which started to appear in that same timeframe, and was associated, albeit erroneously, with the first Intel Macs).

Are you a developer that does server-application development? If so, you want VT-d support in your CPU (and therefore, if you can't afford a XEON, you want the i7-2600 without the K); however, you will forfeit a lot of the overclocking that the K models can achieve.

Otherwise you want the i7-2600K (though it lacks VT-d, it still supports VT-x; also, it retains the XD support and is more overclockable than its non-K brother thanks to the unlocked multiplier).
 
No, you've got it right. Sandy Bridge is a fantastic processor for those annoying single-threaded apps, because the 2600K will (stock) turbo to 3.8 GHz when running a single thread (+ 5 multiplier). If you change the base multiplier (overclock), turbo mode will still boost the processor +5 multiplier when running your backtest.

Thus, a small overclock to say 4 GHz (base clock) will give your backtests 4.5 GHz performance.

No, that's wrong. If you overclock, it'll turbo boost to the overclock you set, and that's all. So setting 40 as your (overclocked) turbo multiplier will get you 4.0Ghz as your top speed. It doesn't add anything to that - you are basically replacing the stock turbo profiles with your overclocked one.
 
VT-d is of major import to the application-virtualization/VM crowd if they have applications that require major I/O needs (biggest users - virtual servers, such as XENWORKS). Normally, this is of little concern to the desktop crowd unless they are developers.

TXT, however, is an *old* technology - it goes all the way back to the early days of the Core microarchitecture, and acts as the antithesis to XD (eXecute Disable). Normally, the two are found together, especially on LGA775 CPUs down to even certain Celerons (my Celeron DC E1200 supports both XD and TXT, though it lacks support for VT-x), and it stands for Trusted eXecution Technology (and goes hand-in-hand with the Trusted Platform Module, which started to appear in that same timeframe, and was associated, albeit erroneously, with the first Intel Macs).

Are you a developer that does server-application development? If so, you want VT-d support in your CPU (and therefore, if you can't afford a XEON, you want the i7-2600 without the K); however, you will forfeit a lot of the overclocking that the K models can achieve.

Otherwise you want the i7-2600K (though it lacks VT-d, it still supports VT-x; also, it retains the XD support and is more overclockable than its non-K brother thanks to the unlocked multiplier).

Thanks, this is really helpful. Since I don't intend running a lot of virtual machines (maybe one or two) that do lots of I/O, I will probably go for the K and overclock it somewhat.

Now, like everyone else, I just need those motherboards to be back on the market again.
 
Just so know you can expect to see the first of the Intel® H67 and P67 based boards at the reseller by Mid-March. Look forward to seeing boards from other manufacturers around the same time.
 
Wonder of boards will receive any new tweaks other than new sata!

It would be nice if they surprised us with light peak. Intel is going to officially launch the technology on Thursday, along with Apple's official launch of the new Macbook Pro.
 
Back
Top