• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Sandy Bridge "crunch"?

Melon

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
1,168
I installed my i3 today and noticed an audible crunching sound as I applied force to the tension bar that locks the processor to the socket. Is this normal, or should I be worried?
 
Normal. Just all those fresh materials taking seat. Dont worry. Try seating a massive socket 2011 with dual levers haha. That is a crunch.
 
I just assumed it was the pins making their dents in the contacts. I can't remember if my i7 920 did it.....
 
My heart dropped, haha; Technology and gravel sounds aren't supposed to go together! Thanks for the replies.
 
I have to say I was surprised by the lack of crunch on my 1155 system. The crunch on the 1366 system I did was far greater.
 
I didn't notice any crunch sound when I installed my i3-2100.
 
The metal socket piece that pushes down on the cpu slides against the heat spreader slightly when you lock down the lever. This metal to metal contact is probably what you heard. If you take the cpu back out you may see two small marks on the heat spreader.
 
As long as you have lined up the indentations on the sides of the processor with those on the socket you should be good to go.
 
Back
Top