Sandforce SSD in Raid 0

mariachi76

n00b
Hello,

I am thinking about making a raid 0 with two OCZ Vertex 3 120gb drives. I would use an onboard JMicron 36x 6GB/s SATA controller.

However, I am not sure if real-life performance is much better than with a single drive. Also the unability to use the strip command might be an issue. Is the garbage collection function of the Sandforce controllers equal to strip in terms of long-term performance?

Any experience with Vertex 3 or other ssd's with previous Sandforce controllers in a raid0?

Thanks, and best regards
mariachi76

IMO stay away from the Sandforce controllers they all uptodate have performance issues and reliabilty issues. Maybe just maybe this new version is fixed but no one really knows yet. I highly recommend tried and true Intel or Crucial for RAID 0. Intel has the new gen. 3 ElmCrest 500 series out which are screaming fast. And Crucial is droping the gen. 3 400 Series out shortly.

Any other comments? Maybe rather personal experience or technically more sound information than just an opinion?

regards
mariachi76

The problems with sandforce controllers and their performance degradation have been discussed here dozens of times. Although not so much with Vertex 3 since its not been around that long.

Back