samsung 990 pro

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Still worth getting or should I switch to a different brand ssd because of all of problems it had or has ?

Most SSDs today will net a good experience for the average user, mostly on pure benchmarks where you see differences, that said, there are lots of good ssds, the 990pro is the second gen of samsung gen4 pcie, that competes with also new iteration of WD 850X and Sk Hynix P41, also lets not forget the Seasgate Firecuda 530 which also a very impressive gen4 pcie drive. Either of them would be my pick if i were looking for an ssd today.

Personally i had a 980Pro fail on me, both of my WD, 850/850X, are running great for now. I also have P41 on my laptop running flawless. If 2tb is the most you looking for, i recommend the SK P41, specially when it goes on sale.

Just get a 980 with the Heatsink I own 3 of them one is in my PS5. Actually have a crucial 4TB in the mail 3.5 inch because 4TB M.2 SSD are still a Ripoff if you want quality talking WD or Samsung or Kingston Fury there is the Crucial M.2 Gen 3 is cheap 4TB but it's Gen 3 I heard Gen4 gets hot and always sold out. Almost sprung for a Kingston Fury 4tb with Heatsink but price was too much and Crucial 3.5 was the half the price plus they have software support.

I should be set for a very long time for SSD space unless games get really huge in size. Never going back to system lockup spinners I'm set for direct storage games if that becomes the norm. I might put my inactive games in the crucial 3.5 organizing is fun

Last edited:
If you can afford the "Sammy tax" then go for it, otherwise get one of the other brands mentioned above...

My personal recommendation for gen 4 is the WD SN850x, which is an excellent drive and has been coming up on sale a lot lately...

I recently got 4 of them @$139 each from da 'Zon, and then got 4x 2 packs direct from WD for $275 w/free shipping :D

The 1st 4 were for my personal rigs, the other 8 are for upcoming client builds...

Last edited:
I like Samsung ssds just keep them up to date which is easy with samsung magician. I have a 980 pro, 970 evo plus, and two 870 evos. No issues to speak of. I'll be ordering a new drive for my laptop and likely will go with a 980 pro.

Most SSDs today will net a good experience for the average user, mostly on pure benchmarks where you see differences, that said, there are lots of good ssds, the 990pro is the second gen of samsung gen4 pcie, that competes with also new iteration of WD 850X and Sk Hynix P41, also lets not forget the Seasgate Firecuda 530 which also a very impressive gen4 pcie drive. Either of them would be my pick if i were looking for an ssd today.

Personally i had a 980Pro fail on me, both of my WD, 850/850X, are running great for now. I also have P41 on my laptop running flawless. If 2tb is the most you looking for, i recommend the SK P41, specially when it goes on sale.
There was a bad firmware that was causing the 980 problems. It has been resolved now. Just make sure you update the firmware using magician.
I have a 980pro 2tb and a SN850X 4tb they are both blistering fast. The WDSN850X ssd runs 2-3 degrees warmer than the 980pro ssd my theory is because the WD has double the memory chips to get 4tb vs the 2tb of the Sammy. Difference in temperature and speed is negligible. The difference in speed from the 980 to the 990 is also negligible. This is one of the few scenarios I would recommend saying the 980 is just as good. As others have mentioned the hynix or WD is just as good also

Ya but how often are you writing? I install a game and I'm done. Besides it slows down but is still writing at 2000mbps. I doubt any real world users were ever even encounter this in normal usage. The sn850x does suffer from the same issue just less and takes longer for it to get to the point of slowing down. But yea the sn850x is the best drive to buy right now, i have one myself.

SN850X seems like the way to go, better performance at a better price. I have been on the Samsung wagon for years, but I got an 850X over the 990.

SN850X seems like the way to go, better performance at a better price. I have been on the Samsung wagon for years, but I got an 850X over the 990.
Me too. I have 2. The 1tb and the 4tb both SN850Xs. I have a 980 pro for another build also but the WD drives are better.

Me too. I have 2. The 1tb and the 4tb both SN850Xs. I have a 980 pro for another build also but the WD drives are better.
The SN850x gets my vote, although my main rig has a 980pro, my other rig has an SN850x and its amazing performance for the price over the 990pro.

The SK Hynix P41 is another good option. It typically tests about the same as the SN850X and goes for about the same cost when on sale (though it's currently not making the SN850X a much better buy at the moment).

Back