same user accounts on all machines

roberttran

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,

Currently I only have 1 freebsd server running on my network. I just got permission from work to take any old servers I want home. I plan on setting up some more servers running linux or windows just to mess around with the OSes without messing up my main server. What I would like to is have all of my new servers use the same user accounts on my freebsd server. What protocol or software will allow me to have a central server that handles user accounts?

Thanks,
Robert

Sounds like a job for LDAP.

(Or you could install Active Directory on a Windows Server and run an AD PAM for Linux)

OpenLDAP will probably be your easiest solution. If you setup samba properly with LDAP authentication on the back-end, you can also configure your FreeBSD box as a domain controller. This will allow your Windows boxes to authenticate against the "domain", which is the FreeBSD box.

Anyone have any good tutorials on LDAP. I started getting into it at work a year ago in an attempt to integrate OSX to Active Directory, but I got shoved to another assignment and lost touch with it :(

Unless you just want to play with hardware I'd highly recommend adding some memory to your current machine or machines and run virtual environments if all your looking to do is learn OS. None of the power bill concerns, none of the noise, no connectivity or other troubleshooting issues. Now maybe you want to troubleshoot layer 1 and/or 2 issue but again, if the only thing your looking to do is learn OS, then VirtualPC or really VMWare and some memory would be a much, much better choice.

Back