"Safe" Vcore on Opteron

KingPing

[H]ard|Gawd
just got my new opty 170...stepping is

CCBWE 0551UPMW

I'm using the Koolance Exos and eveything is going "OK"....I'm @ 1.5 Vcore and I'm having trouble getting prime stable @ 2.75....I was just curious what kind of max vcore I should be looking at....temps are 34 Idle and 44 under load....how much can these typically take??

any input would be greatly appreciated:)

1.55 is the golden 15% rule of thumb, but if your WC can keep the temps under the mid fifty's, around 1.6 might be doable.

What's safe? Stock.

What's acceptable? Whatever you're comfortable with that doesn't sky rocket tempatures. I'd go ~1.5v max for 24/7 use myself on dual cores, and ~1.55v for single cores, but that's just me.

thx guys......I was thinking in the 1.55 zone myself.....and the temps seem to be ok(under 50c load).......

I appreciate the input:)

I run my 170 at 1.5-1.55 depending on whether I want to push it towards 2.6 or not. Usually stick at 2.54 @ 1.5. Temps stay under 40 with the stock heat pipe.

There is no safe zone.

You can crank your Vcore up as high as you like, just as long as the temperature isn’t too crazy. As long as the temperature is stable and not too far out of line you will be okay.

1.45 here, 29/42 seems to be my average idle/load temps.

I'd go higher, but my motherboard does not allow me :\

BurntToast said:
There is no safe zone.

You can crank your Vcore up as high as you like, just as long as the temperature isn’t too crazy. As long as the temperature is stable and not too far out of line you will be okay.

Sorry, but COMPLETELY wrong. In general, voltage kills, not temperature.

Temperature only helps to makes things unstable unless you're hitting something like 80+ C.

Back