Safe overclock for e8400?

joker331

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
103
Hey guys, i currently have my e8400 @ 3.6ghz w/ 1.25v stable. Currently wondering if it's worth it to push this chip to 4.0ghz.
I've found that 4.0ghz is Prime stable @ 1.36v (cpu-z). Temps are 42c idle and 55c load

Here's my question: Should i expect any sort of chip degradation from running it at 4.0 (1.36v) 24/7? I know that Intel states the max voltage for these wolfdales to be 1.45v, so 1.36v shouldn't be harmful right?
 
Max voltage for a wolfdale is 1.36 according to intel.

there will be some minor degradation, as there is with every overclock. if you run it at 4.0ghz, it will probably last you 5 years. If you ran it at 3.6 probably 5.1 years. At stock probably 5.2. The degradation at those voltages and temps will be negligable.
 
Right now I have mine at 3.6 as well.

I've found that while I CAN run it at 4.0, it's not stable and the voltages to even get it there are chancy with my memory.

Not to mention that the performance difference in CS:S is a whole 4 fps.
 
Right now I have mine at 3.6 as well.

I've found that while I CAN run it at 4.0, it's not stable and the voltages to even get it there are chancy with my memory.

Not to mention that the performance difference in CS:S is a whole 4 fps.

Boi, 4 FPS makes all the difference!
 
Pfft. Crank that mofo up until your system wont post, then raise the voltage till it will. ;)

Disclaimer: Dont do this, I am just joking ;)
 
lol, i dont think im quite ready to send my wolfdale to the grave just yet.

Anyways, i think im gonna keep the rig @ 4.0ghz (1.36v) just because the difference in "degradation" compared to 3.6ghz (1.23v) seems pretty negligible. Thanks for the info guys.
 
I'm running my E3110 at 3.8Ghz on 1.30v. I had it stable at 4.0Ghz on 1.34v, but the all but unnoticeable difference in performance didn't seem worth the required voltage jump, so I brought it back down. I've heard mixed reports regarding the overclockability of the E8400 vs. E3110, though apparently the E3110 is higher binned for server use.
 
Back
Top