S1283 vs. Lapped TRUE, difference?

HaxEJxuK

Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
696
So, it seems TRUE is couple of degrees lower than S1283 but S1283 being 1/2 the price, it seems S1283 is better choice. Based on that, I just purchased Red Scorpion since it's $35 AR shipped. The question is, I just thought all the reviews that I've checked out is probably TRUE that is not lapped. Anyone have experience with OCed Q6600 with S1283 and Lapped TRUE? Is the difference greater than about 3c that most review said? If it is 3c+10c that some people have seen after lap, it's definitely worth twice $$$ to get TRUE. Of course given IHS is lapped also.
 
So, it seems TRUE is couple of degrees lower than S1283 but S1283 being 1/2 the price, it seems S1283 is better choice. Based on that, I just purchased Red Scorpion since it's $35 AR shipped. The question is, I just thought all the reviews that I've checked out is probably TRUE that is not lapped. Anyone have experience with OCed Q6600 with S1283 and Lapped TRUE? If it still remains around 3c difference, I'll just let order go through but if it makes like 13c as some people saw roughly 10c difference after lapping TRUE then I'll cancel the order and get TRUE. Anyone? 10c difference would definitely worth twice the $$$.

Yes, please give some response to this question. Although I am a WC'er at heart (I have 2x E6600's WC'ed and I'm quite satisfied with them), to save some $ and time I've been seriouly considering getting a Q6600 for a strictly 24/7 dedicated folder, just OC'ing it to a mild 3.0 GHz or better and air cooling it.

By choice I've been out of the air cooling loop for a while and from what I understand the TRUE 120 is the best. (on second thought maybe the Ultima 90 is better for my needs) I've read some good reviews on the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 and I'm curious because I know nothing stands still in the world of progress. (especially in computer IT)

BTW I'm also an avid lapper, ATM 1x E6600 is lapped and a air cooled E6420

Thanks in advance for any help and/or criticism :)

 
Welp, no biggie, this thread went a couple of days and no nothing, so I got off of my a*s and went over to XSF (XtremeSystemsForum) and did some research. I should have done that to begin with because they're always testing new computer IT over there. The only reason I didn't was because I'm laziness challenged. :rolleyes: (talk about BS)

It seems the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and it's newer brother the Xigmatek Red Scorpion S1283 are some serious HSF's and close contenders to the current World Champ, the TRUE. According to a couple of the URL's below these HSF's are very close to the performance of the TRUE and are about 1/2 the price and from my understanding both versions come with a decent fan :confused:

This URL is about the Xigmatek Red Scorpion S1283
http://www.overclockerspulse.com/hardware-reviews/xigmatek-red-scorpion-s1283-review/

This URL is about the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=1
(hint: just Google the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 there are mucho reviews on this HSF and the above is only one, there goes that laziness deficit thing I have :rolleyes:)

And this URL is about Xigmatek offering a bolt thru kit to prevent using, IMO, the crappy "push pin" way of installing this HSF. (all I can say is "it's about time", seems Xigmatek does some listening to it's customer base ;) )
http://www.xigmatek.de/product/accessory-crossbow-adk-i7751_de.php

This URL is about lapping the Xigmatek HDT-S1283
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185198

Depending on if I win the crap shoot and get a good Q6600 chip, I'll probably only OC' it to 3.0 GHz or 3.2 GHz and make it a dedicated 24/7 folder. (last night I saw a Q6600 go for $153 bucks on fleabay, I think it was a B3 though :eek:)

BTW: I appologize immensely if this has already been covered by someone on this forum. I'm tryin' to get unlazy, but it ain't easy :(

 
lol you probably have seem my post there. Yeah S1283 and RS1283(Red Scorpion) are basically same but with different fan. What I really wanted to find out is if lapped TRUE makes more than 3c difference that most reviews seems to say. I know TRUE is little better than S1283/RS1283 by roughly about 3c but I want to find out difference given TRUE is lapped which seems it has flatness issue. Oh, also given IHS is lapped too.
 
Back
Top