RV082 and Site to Site VPN woes

SJConsultant

2[H]4U
Trying to establish a site to site vpn using two Linksys RV082 VPN routers. I have them configured for gateway to gateway IPsec connection, connection establishs fine, however I can only ping the remote gateway, I cannot ping any other device on the remote network.

Both locations are on different subnets.

I need to allow systems from one network to communicate with systems on the other.

What else do I need to configure? The documentation leads me to believe I have done everything I need to do. :confused:

Edit: N/M after doing a bit more digging it was a routing issue on the home office side. :p

What cha think of them?

Don't forget the latest firmware, and manually setting the MTU...one thing I have noticed with them is if you leave the MTU to "auto"..it's often not accurate. I've always manually set MTU on routers anyways, regardless of what brand they are.

YeOldeStonecat said:
What cha think of them?

Don't forget the latest firmware, and manually setting the MTU...one thing I have noticed with them is if you leave the MTU to "auto"..it's often not accurate. I've always manually set MTU on routers anyways, regardless of what brand they are.

So far I like them, easy to setup with minimal fuss. I'll be installing the second one on a remote site this weekend and monitoring everything from my office with Solarwinds.

Default out of the box everything seems to be working ok without changing the MTU settings from one VZ DSL connection to another. What problems did you run into that prompted an MTU change?

SJConsultant said:
Default out of the box everything seems to be working ok without changing the MTU settings from one VZ DSL connection to another. What problems did you run into that prompted an MTU change?

I've not had a problem with PPPoE DSL...but with cable (connecting them to Comcast)...if left on auto it'll pull dial up settings....574 or 576? I forget which one...anyways...waaaay too low.

I think they fall under the category "Great bang for the buck". :cool:

YeOldeStonecat said:
I've not had a problem with PPPoE DSL...but with cable (connecting them to Comcast)...if left on auto it'll pull dial up settings....574 or 576? I forget which one...anyways...waaaay too low.

I think they fall under the category "Great bang for the buck". :cool:

Ah.. I will keep that in mind for future deployments, currently the office I am working with has VZ DSL with static IPs at all locations.

I haven't had the time to thoroughly go through all of the settings, but from what I have seen so far, Linksys is slowly changing my mind as to whether they are "business class" enough for the small businesses I deal with.

I'll be spending quite a bit of time this weekend "playing" with this unit. :p

SJConsultant said:
Linksys is slowly changing my mind as to whether they are "business class" enough for the small businesses I deal with.

Yeah I noticed that a couple of years ago. Farther back than that...I never looked twice as their hub, switches, etc....just left them as cheap little devices for those small peer to peer budget networks. But a couple of years ago..they started getting into some 1/2 decent "business grade" products...what I'll call "mid-range stuff" for the small to midsized market. Again, falling under the category of "bang for the buck". Then when Cisco snagged them up...this category seemed to improve another step.

If, as a consultant, you wish to get more out of it...I do recommend you sign up for their partner program. It gives you better wholesale discounts...if you purchase through participating wholesalers such as Ingram. It gets you access to webinars on their products and training, and most importantly, access to level 1 tech support. If you have any issues...fast access (get a live body usually in a minute or two on the support line...english speaking Cisco tech in the States). And a regional sales rep who (so far for me) is very fast on e-mail replies if you need parts help/info.

Back