RV042 Upgrade

overmind

n00b
Small business
2 Wireless ISPs for failover (no other options) 6mb/3mb
3 HP ProCurve managed switches
1 Cisco 1100 AP
80 devices. 60 users.

We are currently using a RV042 that has been very stable. We have 15 people that access their office desktop by forwarding RDP ports. Those plus all the other forwards that we need for services and we are hitting the 30 forward cap on the RV042.

I'm looking for a dual WAN router/firewall that supports more than 30 port forwards. I run pfsense on an Alix 2d3 at home so that is an option, but I'd like to stick with something pre-built.

Zyxel USG 50 or USG 100.

I prefer the USG 100 as the DHCP reservation list is 128 addresses on that model, as opposed to 64 on the 50 model.

We replaced a RV082 with a USG 100. It was an immense improvement. The interface is object orientated so its very different from any other router I am aware of, but Zyxel's phone support has been excellent every time I have called in for assistance.

That many users....and seeing "small business"...I'd put a simpler and much more reliable approach in place...consider TSGateway. A secure "proxy service" for remote desktop. Authenticates against active directory, and you only need port 443 open/forwarded to it. Remote Desktop users from home go through it to their desktops.

Back