• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Russian MP3 Sites

AVT

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
4,875
DISCLAIMER: I'm aware that purchasing music by RIAA-affiliated labels from these sites is a legal gray area. I am not encouraging anyone to do this in any way. See this.

Hi,

I'm trying to find some hard-to-find MP3s (publisher went bankrupt 15 years ago) & can't find any reasonable quality elsewhere so I've been considering using a Russian MP3 site to acquire them.

Does anyone have any experience with some of these sites? A guy I used to know used this site & I know they're not going to steal my credit card, but does anyone know what's up with the weird bitrates on some of the files? (294kbps, etc) Additionally, does anyone know of any similar site that offers lossless?

PM me if there's a problem with posting in the thread.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
**my own disclaimer: I have no idea what the hell a "russian mp3 site" is**

but, regarding "weird bitrates", I'd guess a VBR encoding scheme? usually it produces some awkward nubmers, either that or its bad data (as in file corruption)

as far as "hard to find music", my best luck has been with used records shops, get to know a dealer, its amazing what kind of stuff you can dig up on CD or vinyl, and you don't even have to worry about quality/data integrity issues (or associated legal issues)
 
I hear legalsounds is good. They offer songs encoded at 192. No lossless that I know of though.
Usually only $0.99 per album or $0.09 per song.

I can't vouch for the "hard to find" songs though.
 
I used to buy from allofmp3, but they closed shop in 2007 due to government pressure. It's too bad because they never stole my CC info, they were completely legit.

Turns out, if you get big enough, the RIAA will apply pressure in the right places and get the Russian government to shut you down :(

There's this recomendation, but I have no idea who owns this site or posted this info, so YMMV.

http://www.sonofallofmp3.com/

EDIT:

Domain Name.......... sonofallofmp3.com
Creation Date........ 2008-08-09
Registration Date.... 2008-08-09
Expiry Date.......... 2011-08-09
Organisation Name.... IAN MACDONALD
Organisation Address. PO Box 61359
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Sunnyvale
Organisation Address. 94088
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. US

It's a US registration, so at least you know it's not some Russian plant.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top