Running SATA or SATA2?

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2000
Messages
1,181
Hey guys a bit confused here. Running XP Pro SP2 and a Jetway GT4L.

Hardware manager shows my Seagate 160G 7200.9 ST3160811AS (SATA2) as "Serial ATA Generation 1 - 1.5G".

The native windows speed test shows a theoretical limit of 150. I show burst of 108 and sustained of 72.4

Newegg info shows this board as supporting 'SATA 3Gb/s'.
Jetway promotional material states 'Supports 4 Serial ATA2 HDDs.'
Jetway manual states 'Four Serial ATA ports provide 150MB/sec data transfer rate.'

Doesn't 150MB/sec infer SATA1? Any insight appreciated to what's going on here.
 
Well, Newegg's specs are not renowned for their accuracy. Technically, the Jetway promo material is correct because "SATA-II" actually refers to the working group that formed the SATA standard, and has nothing to do with the actual speed of the ports. So SATA-II compliant drives can support 150 or 300. It's misleading, and I think the hardware marketers exploit it.

At any rate, you clearly have 150 ports, not 300, which isn't a big deal anyway.

Off topic: Wow arcturus, I remember you from way back in the stone age of this forum. I saw calebb posting today, too. Seems like quite a few old members are posting recently. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one...
 
Jetway manual states 'Four Serial ATA ports provide 150MB/sec data transfer rate.'

Doesn't 150MB/sec infer SATA1? Any insight appreciated to what's going on here.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. It is your motherboard, not your drives.
 
ok thanks everyone.

off topic back: hey bones I remember you from way back too. Who knows, one of
these days our incept dates might just preceed some members birthdates lol. P3's,
alpha coolers, Voodoo3's, 200 mhz overclocks and $600 CRT's. Ah those were the days :)
 
Back
Top