Rumor : Ivy Bridge E pushed back

I don't mind really. By the tie haswell e comes out with a new socket ill be ready to upgrade to that anyways. So this actually kinda works out nicely.
 
Or they could simply be waiting to release Haswell-E with DDR4, and altered SB-E and IB-E's release dates to compensate for that.
 
They should REALLY skip IB-E, and concentrate on Haswell-E.... Period!

I think Intel owes those who bought into the 2011 platform at least one more generation. Personally I'm waiting on IB-e, so I can transition to 2011 from 1155, get the PCI lanes I need for the 4x680's I want (have 3 now), at real PCI-e bandwidth, and pick up a 2011 board on the used market cheap and I'm sure by then GTX 680 4gb will have fallen in price due to the 7xx series. If I had it to do over again, I'd just SLi (2) Titans, but I don't know that PCI-e 2.0 @ x8/x8 would saturate the titans, plus the loss I'd take on the 680's - meh.
 
2011 xeons are getting ivy - it was on the roadmap i saw the other day. Didn't see any mention of desktop ivy-E. I'm looking forward to some 10/12core goodness
 
I'm patting myself on the back so much I've just dislocated my shoulder. I was going to hold off to IB-E or even Haswell and then gave up and pulled the trigger on a 3930K which should arrive any day. No way I could have pushed it to the end of the year or beyond.

Don't want to turn this into yet another AMD-Intel flame thread, but these ongoing delays would have been unthinkable if Intel actually had competition in the high end... something which none of us may ever live to see again. :(
 
They should REALLY skip IB-E, and concentrate on Haswell-E.... Period!

Exactly. Intel have already released their 8/16 processor with SB-E. Haswell is knocking the door. So why would anyone want IB-E, based on a socket which will probably be dead within next 6 months?
Unless, Intel have some extreme profiteering idea in their mind.
 
Those people who wants IB-E are the ones who currently have SB-E sockets. However, why would they even consider upgrading their cpu so soon when they already have a good one.
 
Those people who wants IB-E are the ones who currently have SB-E sockets. However, why would they even consider upgrading their cpu so soon when they already have a good one.

Depends on what you are using it for, I want Ivy based xeon's as it will give me a 10% bump in speed, less power consumption for 8 cores or the same power consumption as now for 10/12 cores.

There are quite a few people that need all the cores and speed that they can get
 
Depends on what you are using it for, I want Ivy based xeon's as it will give me a 10% bump in speed, less power consumption for 8 cores or the same power consumption as now for 10/12 cores.

There are quite a few people that need all the cores and speed that they can get

^^ This

And Intel's musical sockets. Some on, 1156 pins to 1155 pins? Could they be a little less subtle in the fact they are just selling chipsets there?

The 2011 deserves another go-around for IB-e.

A lot of us are practically limited to one, maybe two workstations we use on a regular basis for many things. More cores helps with things like virtualization - let's face it, the hypervisors have become very impressively efficient with Intel's VT-d and VT-x tech, and dual boot is just a pain if you have to do it several times a day. And if you develop an app for cross-platform, you will want to test across supported platforms. And I don't know if XP will even boot with some of the high ram configs we are running, and never-ending SATA controllers, USB3.

As some render for a living, compfile for a living, and get their game on during the down time, and yet others need direct attached storage and decent video, which puts the 1155 platform flat on its arse in terms of direct PCIe lanes, there is a space for IB-e. Haswell is just coming out for desktop parts in a few months, I think it will be awhile before we see the higher end -E parts.

I'm sure Intel would be happy to skip 2011 sockets entirely and sell us a new socket with the latest and greatest X666 chipset. But on the other hand, I'd imagine Intel already has IB-e taped out and remembered to include VT-d this time on the initial stepping. ;)
 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: IB-E should have been here a LONG time ago, ranging from before, to shortly after the launch of IB. Much like SB-E, it will be simply old technology sold for a premium price; this shouldn't happen for "enthusiast" parts.

Intel did so well during the Socket 1366 / X58 days; I have no idea why they didn't keep to that schedule with SB-E and IB-E. Now, we're coming up on Haswell and they're going to be charging a bloody premium to give us the experience that should have been here months and months ago, on what will be out-of-date hardware platforms. I don't even want to think about if IB-E will have say, the same thermal pad/paste problems under the IHS as Ivy did.

If they want to release IB-E, they should do so immediately and keep the prices low low low, as a thank you to the people who have been jerked around paying a fortune for Socket 2011 rigs. However, I want to see Haswell-E launch near Haswell, that's for damn sure, even if it takes another socket. Hell, I'd be fine if they just didn't launch an IB-E at all and instead stuck to Haswell. But no more of this crap.
 
It feels like IVB-E will never come out. I can't be the only one thinking why they should even bother releasing it at this point 3-6 months after Haswell drops. It feels like its been 5 years already just because every week there seems to be another story about it or it getting pushed back. I don't even really care about it as it doesn't affect me per se. I just want all the talk about it to go away at this point. Release the damn thing already Intel jebus.
 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: IB-E should have been here a LONG time ago, ranging from before, to shortly after the launch of IB. Much like SB-E, it will be simply old technology sold for a premium price; this shouldn't happen for "enthusiast" parts.

Intel did so well during the Socket 1366 / X58 days; I have no idea why they didn't keep to that schedule with SB-E and IB-E. Now, we're coming up on Haswell and they're going to be charging a bloody premium to give us the experience that should have been here months and months ago, on what will be out-of-date hardware platforms. I don't even want to think about if IB-E will have say, the same thermal pad/paste problems under the IHS as Ivy did.

If they want to release IB-E, they should do so immediately and keep the prices low low low, as a thank you to the people who have been jerked around paying a fortune for Socket 2011 rigs. However, I want to see Haswell-E launch near Haswell, that's for damn sure, even if it takes another socket. Hell, I'd be fine if they just didn't launch an IB-E at all and instead stuck to Haswell. But no more of this crap.

I agree with you, I much prefer higher end sockets for the memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes they provide, but paying a premium to get older cores is putting me off, I'm still on the 1366 socket for that reason.
 
Back
Top