RTX 4080: Countdown To Second-Best™

4080, Shipped by Newegg, just went OOS at NE across all SKUs.
Curious, what are your thoughts on stock and supply with these 4080s and 4090s? Will this be another out of stock situation for months? Or at least a decent supply this time?

I have to hand it to nvidia, their sales strategy is working very well.

Honestly it was in stock for the longest I have seen a new card for a while. Newegg had some models in stock for over an hour later. I think while it’s nice for nvidia they sold out it’s still looking like not a lot of people are eager to buy one at that price.

The 20-series cards had a different style of launch. Sites like Newegg and Amazon seem to roll them out in bursts. They were "readily" available for a couple weeks, but they would pop-up in stock and then sell out in about an hour each time. If you really wanted one, they weren't that tough to buy if you used stock alerts, nowinstock.net, or even just hunted around a few times each day.

i hate that these cards are so high priced but NVidia and amd will keep raising prices as long as there is people willing to pay that. Nvidia seen what people were paying scalpers why would they not want that money for themselves.

Man, everything is right about this card except the price:
  • 50% faster gen-on-gen
  • 20% faster versus previous generation flagship
  • 25% lower power while delivering more performance
  • 78% of the performance of the flagship, going up to 83% after overclocking
  • Pushes well over 60 fps 99th percentile at 4K, CPU-limited 144 fps at 1440p
...except, it's 70% more expensive gen-on-gen and more than twice as expensive if you're buying a used 3080.

My guess is that prices are kept artificially high to (1) save TSMC capacity for H100, which has crazy good margins and (2) let AIB partners (and Nvidia) clear stock which is currently screwing their earnings calls over. Presumably when the fallout from last year disperses we'll get a Super refresh which will restore prices to something reasonable.

Either way AMD GPUs (and AMD stock) are looking mighty tasty right now, between solidly collecting the CPU performance crown for another year and beating Nvidia in performance per dollar by 50% they're doing way better than I'd have predicted.

Curious, what are your thoughts on stock and supply with these 4080s and 4090s? Will this be another out of stock situation for months? Or at least a decent supply this time?
I do know that follow up shipments on 4090 are tiny amounts of cards compared to launch day. I am not aware of upcoming inventories of 4080 yet, but will ask around today. I would guess that those will go way south like 4090. There is still tons of vanilla 3080 cards and below in the channel to move through.

Thanks FrgMstr. That's what a lot of us suspected was going on.

A few weeks ago when I snagged a 3080 Ti the prices of new cards direct from major retailers had momentarily touched $799 for a PNY and $850 for a MSI Trio X. I KNEW... could just tell... that it wasn't going to last. Nvidia's own statements on price structure and the fact that AMD hadn't actually launched anything yet made me look at those dump prices and think "this is NOT going to be allowed to continue." Even though it should have. Those prices are still technically a little bit high for cards that should have been in deep discount ahead of the new launch.

But there's no need to do that when you control the entire market and your closest competitor doesn't really compete with you. Nvidia can just restrict the supply of new cards, pump the MSRP by forced contract, and give all the resellers hundreds of extra dollars of headroom to sell off the old inventory.

Sure enough, here we are a couple weeks later and into the Black Friday sales where people should be getting "deals" and the prices are $100 to $300 higher again on the 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090, etc.

This is just crazy. AMD can't enter this ring soon enough. And hopefully Intel keeps going because I'm not sure anything less than a 3 way battle is going to ever get us an actual correction in overall prices.

Does anyone know where this Microcenter is? Really sucks they stick to Brick and Mortar sales but they almost have to.

Does anyone know where this Microcenter is? Really sucks they stick to Brick and Mortar sales but they almost have to.

That could be the Denver one but it’s so hard to tell. I don’t bother because it’s a 1 hour drive for me, and gas isn’t cheap.

That could be the Denver one but it’s so hard to tell. I don’t bother because it’s a 1 hour drive for me, and gas isn’t cheap.

Nah, it's not. I know that location pretty well :p For all the awesomeness inside, the Denver Microcenter looks dated as hell on the outside. They're always full (with a line) so it's clearly not hurting their business.

EDIT: Per the internets (aka. just Googling "Microcenter Locations" via image search), it's the Paterson NJ store.

Last edited:
I was able to order gigabyte OC one at BB for 1269, don't need it though. its fun playing the game, instore pick up can cancel it anytime or help someone out here lmao. I sware it sucks for us ADHD people, can't control the damn impulses. I sware they have data on us lmao.

As much time as you spend looking at stuff on the internet, maybe just look up the one close to you? Interestingly, I keep up with this stuff, lucky you.

Microcenter4080 Models in Stock 2CST 11-16-22
CA -Tustin
10​
CO-Denver
8​
GA-Duluth
10​
GA-Marietta
6​
IL-Chicago
8​
IL-Westmont
8​
KS-Overland
9​
MA-Cambridge
10​
MD-Rockville
8​
MD-Parkville
10​
MI-Madisone Heights
4​
MN-St.Louis Park
7​
MO-Brentwood
11​
NJ-North Jersey
5​
NY-Westbury
7​
NY-Brooklyn
9​
NY-Flushing
1​
NY-Yonkers
8​
OH-Columbus
6​
OH-Mayfield Heights
7​
OH-Sharonville
8​
PA-St.Davids
7​
TX-Houston
10​
TX-Dallas
7​
VA-Fairfax
7​

Agreed, not Denver. I was just there, and they were out of the $1,200 Asus TUF and $1,200 MSI Ventus models, but they had all of the other SKUs left on the shelf. I counted at least a dozen $1,200 Zotacs, over two dozen Gigabyte models (edit: I mean over two dozen cards of the various models, sorry), and there were plenty of $1,280 Ventus OCs.

I picked up a Ventus OC. Not sure whether I will keep it; they have an extended holiday return window until mid-January.

Wow, did not expect to check MC stock mid-afternoon on launch day, and see there are still cards. 3080 launch this is not. If there is still stock on day 2 I'll be surprised...

In canada the Asus Tuf at $1,629 CAD (about $1,200 USD) about seem sold out, but there is some not only in store not much more expensive with less strong but still serious brand name (like Gigabytes at $1,699) available to buy from the website, that never seen before.
I cannot even buy a 3080 (cannot easily find a 3080TI either, I am not sure if it is even possible to buy it) from CanadaComputer.com but a 4080 I can

Last edited:
Newegg has them back in stock lmao. Times have changed may be scalper pricing keeps things in stock more often, keeping scalpers away? lmao. Asus tuf and gigabyte model.

Newegg has them back in stock lmao. Times have changed may be scalper pricing keeps things in stock more often, keeping scalpers away? lmao. Asus tuf and gigabyte model.
I cannot see scalping money to be made, people ready to buy on the used market have all the used market open for them has an offering and would tend to be somewhat knowledgeable, there is under $850 3090TI, how much more can you sell them a 4080?, on a platform that take a % of the sales like ebay there is just 0 room it seems, profit would start above $1475 if you achieved to get the best priced model at $1200 and pay just 7% of sales tax.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=RTX+4080&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

5 sales today or one could round it to 0, 7 in totals since pre-orders one, already under $1,600 price tag
update: already under $1,500 and already around 0 a day sold.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
placed and canceled an order for a gbt 4080 for 1260 with tax after 10% coupon, I can't be bothered with ebay anymore...

Five there.

1668637361073.png

They got 4080's in stock at Newegg as Im typing this, Im not getting one though.
Screenshot 2022-11-16 174059.png

Memx has them in stock but its too much $ for me to consider upgrading from my 3090
Screenshot_20221116-144429_Chrome.jpg

Edit... this is just the gigabyte model numbers

Take it for whatever but this is what mlid is saying.

Attachments

• C9B36A7D-4387-4C7C-A8EF-EBCB1B3603C5.png
    C9B36A7D-4387-4C7C-A8EF-EBCB1B3603C5.png
    999 KB · Views: 0
  • 5185EEE2-E34E-4ED5-9FB8-C9C35B3D8336.png
    5185EEE2-E34E-4ED5-9FB8-C9C35B3D8336.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
4080 cards left in stock at end of business today: 1,572+

Microcenter 4080 SKUsPer Each
CA -Tustin
65​
CO-Denver
86​
GA-Duluth
82​
GA-Marietta
34​
IL-Chicago
99​
IL-Westmont
59​
KS-Overland
80​
MA-Cambridge
70​
MD-Rockville
60​
MD-Parkville
78​
MI-Madisone Heights
37​
MN-St.Louis Park
55​
MO-Brentwood
76​
NJ-North Jersey
62​
NY-Westbury
50​
NY-Brooklyn
73​
NY-Flushing
25​
NY-Yonkers
54​
OH-Columbus
67​
OH-Mayfield Heights
82​
OH-Sharonville
68​
PA-St.Davids
59​
TX-Houston
58​
TX-Dallas
40​
VA-Fairfax
53​

4080 cards left in stock at end of business today: 1,572+

Microcenter 4080 SKUsPer Each
CA -Tustin
65​
CO-Denver
86​
GA-Duluth
82​
GA-Marietta
34​
IL-Chicago
99​
IL-Westmont
59​
KS-Overland
80​
MA-Cambridge
70​
MD-Rockville
60​
MD-Parkville
78​
MI-Madisone Heights
37​
MN-St.Louis Park
55​
MO-Brentwood
76​
NJ-North Jersey
62​
NY-Westbury
50​
NY-Brooklyn
73​
NY-Flushing
25​
NY-Yonkers
54​
OH-Columbus
67​
OH-Mayfield Heights
82​
OH-Sharonville
68​
PA-St.Davids
59​
TX-Houston
58​
TX-Dallas
40​
VA-Fairfax
53​
Lmal. Yep. Newegg was dropping them again late all over at night. I am wondering if they are hair slowly dropping them to make it seem like they back in stock so get people to fomo Lmao.

Cambridge, Ma........I want one so bad I'll go at rush hour so I can sit in Boston traffic for 3 hours NOT!! :ROFLMAO:

If you're thinking about buying a 4080 for $1200+ then just wait for the 7900XTX reviews.

Pure rasterization performance seems to put the 7900XTX closer to the 4090 than the 4080 based on AMD benchmarks (again, wait for reviews) and for just $1000. RT performance hit appears to be about the same as Ampere based on those same AMD benchmarks which isn't awful.

I’d love to replace my kid’s 1080ti with something quieter, but not for these prices.

I have no problem waiting…

Yea I swung by my MC yesterday after work to check them out and they had ton of 4080 stock. They told me they have hardly gotten any 4090 since launch. I find it funny that the $1500 4080 Strix was the first to sell out lol.

If you're thinking about buying a 4080 for $1200+ then just wait for the 7900XTX reviews.

Pure rasterization performance seems to put the 7900XTX closer to the 4090 than the 4080 based on AMD benchmarks (again, wait for reviews) and for just $1000. RT performance hit appears to be about the same as Ampere based on those same AMD benchmarks which isn't awful.

Given how cut down 4080 is 7900xtx might not look bad against it in RT. May be 10-15% slower but then again you gotta pump up upscaling if you are playing 4k so shit becomes more or less equal. I think nvidia made a bad move here pricing 4080 so high and cutting it down so much.

Now by the time they launch Ti series etc AMD will probably be launching a refresh to add another 15-20% on tops given the chips might have more head room in clocks.

New is dropping 4080s again. I am wondering if scalpers are canceling orders cuz no one wants to pay that much.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
I wonder how the 4080 owners are going to feel when the price drops a few months from now.

I get that saving money is saving money, but if you have the $ to drop on an OEM version of a 4080, you're damn close to being able to buy a 4090 FE. FE retail prices are one thing, but OEM prices are something else entirely. Unless you're on a time crunch or just flat-out don't want to play the F5/stock alert game, it seems worthwhile to hold out.

Yea plenty of stock everywhere for 4080s. I doubt any of the Microcenters have even sold out.

I get that saving money is saving money, but if you have the $ to drop on an OEM version of a 4080, you're damn close to being able to buy a 4090 FE. FE retail prices are one thing, but OEM prices are something else entirely. Unless you're on a time crunch or just flat-out don't want to play the F5/stock alert game, it seems worthwhile to hold out.
I guess now we truly see why EVGA bailed.

Given how cut down 4080 is 7900xtx might not look bad against it in RT. May be 10-15% slower but then again you gotta pump up upscaling if you are playing 4k so shit becomes more or less equal. I think nvidia made a bad move here pricing 4080 so high and cutting it down so much.

Now by the time they launch Ti series etc AMD will probably be launching a refresh to add another 15-20% on tops given the chips might have more head room in clocks.
Out of the tens of thousands of PC games, RT doesn't make even a dot for significance. While Control is talked about a RT showcase, graphically Red Dead Redemption blows it away.

I would be more interested in how the RNDA cards vs Lovelace cards compare running Unreal Engine 5.x Nanite and Lumen performance. Graphically more impressive with much higher geometric detail, self shadowing and lighting. Only thing I see RT can give is better reflections at a cost over the Engine cube map reflection system.

If the 7950x stacks or double the infinity cache, with RT being memory intensive, I wonder if AMD RT still has significnat room to grow. Especially with faster available vram and higher GPU clock speeds. I would thinks so.

As for pricing, AIB 7900XTX have options to increase price over MSRP, higher clock speeds etc. If ASUS has a 450w version, will be interesting how RNDA 3 scales.

Back