Routing Through a Laptop and Connecting MediaCenter Extender???

Hoyingcc

n00b
Okay, this is going to quite long explaination so bare with me.

I am trying to network my MediaCenter computer and my xbox 360 together. The problem is that my university's wireless network requires you logon to a html website in order to use it(so i can't use the wireless microsoft adapter). I currently have a laptop logged onto this wireless network and then sharing that connection with my xbox 360. This connection is working fine, internet and xbox live are both working. The problem is that I have a mediacenter desktop computer upstairs and it is using a wired connection, and I can't get the MediaCenter PC to see and connect to the 360.

The networking equipment used are done by the following:
1. networking from the university comes into a wired connection only switch
2. a wireless adapter is connected into this switch
3. so both the broadcasting wireless box and my mediacenter pc are plugged into the same switch

I know my problems are lying with the routing and I was hoping someone could shed so light on my problem.

And I know this prolly doesn't make any sense.

Thanks,
chris

you could add a wireless card to your media centre pc and then use the wireless adaptor with the 360, then setup an ad-hoc connection directly between the media centre pc and your 360? so, effectively a dedicated wireless link purely for streaming / connectivity purposes. also, if you setup internet connection sharing between the wired interface of your media centre pc and the wireless interface you install for this then the 360 would also have internet access too.

yeah, i thought about that, but the only main problem is i don't wanna have to spend $150

I'm a cheap college student. The wireless card for the 360 is $99 plus the wireless for the desktop.

Back