Routerboard

Corporal79

Gawd
I'm looking to replace my Untangle box that is running on an old Optiplex 755 I had laying around and I wanted something rackmount so I could help clean up the mess I have going on right now.

http://routerboard.com/RB2011iL-RM

I'm specifically looking at he above model, would there be any reason to spend another $20 and get the next rack mount model up with 128MB of RAM instead of 64MB?

What is the difference between the Level 4 and Level 5 licenses?

Thank you

Difference in licence levels

As far as the difference between the 2 rackmount 2011 models aside from the ram and licence is the LCD. I personally like the LCD, it is pretty easy to use and can help pinpoint which interface is using a specific amount of traffic without logging into the router.

As far as the memory difference, it's not really important. I have my 2011 doing load balancing, firewall, nat, queue tree and several site-to-site VPN's and it uses 30MB of memory max.

Just remember that RouterOS is not a UTM (no antivirus), but it is a VERY good firewall (that you have to set up). The firewall can do some limited intrusion detection features too. There are parameters for rules based on rate and initiated connections from a single IP and so on.

the 2011 series is a very good budget router, but be aware that it can only route 120mbps-130mbps TCP with a decent firewall and queue tree in place. That being said, they are rock solid reliable (like most Routerboard products) and VERY low power consumption. Full load on mine is like 18w at the wall.

Last edited:
Cool, I pulled the trigger on one. The only reason I was running Untangle was because my dlink shit the bed and I didn't want to buy another router right away. I was only using the firewall portion of Untangle, no AV or any of the other features.

Looking forward to a new toy to play with and learn.

Cool, I pulled the trigger on one. The only reason I was running Untangle was because my dlink shit the bed and I didn't want to buy another router right away. I was only using the firewall portion of Untangle, no AV or any of the other features.

Looking forward to a new toy to play with and learn.

the learning curve is a bit steep.. i bought an RB750 to play with a while back and while it seemed like a great device, there is an overwhelming amount of configuration required...

but, such is generally the case with devices this powerful...

mikrotik isn't for the weak, that's for sure :D

I'm sure it's way overkill for my home needs but the price was right and it's rack mountable, SOLD

Here's hoping I can get it configured so I can get out to the internet with it :)

Mine wast hard to get working with my internet connection (comcast) DHCP. IThere are very good guides on the http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Main_Page
to help you out.

That's good to hear. I'm thinking of getting one of these myself. I don't mind exploring all the possibilities it has to offer, so long as getting basic functionality up and running is fairly straightforward.

Used Mikrotik products for the last few years. At home my main router is an RB450G. Yes, its sorta a PITA to get set up - but you can configure routing on this little box that you just can't to on any other <$100 device. Not that many people will use it at home, but includes support for MPLS,.e-BGP, etc.

Rock solid. Never dies. Cheap, cheap, cheap. They are a great deal.

finally got my Routerboard 2011UiAS-RM up and running. It took a little tinkering to get a couple things figured out but it's all good right now. I had an "uh duh" moment when I couldn't get DHCP working as it was giving out IP's for the wrong subnet, I simply had to modify the DHCP pool it was assigning from.

Other than a few hiccups, it's been fun putting this new device in and it has an overwhelming number of configuration options that I will probably never touch but it beats having to run a full desktop running Untangle, and it looks pretty in my small wallmount rack.

Make sure you apply some common firewall rules and disable some external access for some services. There are some good wikis and howtos if you search for routeros firewall script on google.

Back