Router with 100mbit WAN port?

spicetek

Limp Gawd
I looking for a "home use" (ie price) router with both 100mbit wan AND lan ports.. does such a beast exist?

Currently I have a linksys and it really is a piece of crap. Even though the uplink is rated 10mbit it wont manage more than 2-3 mbit.. and the internal cpu/software/firmware must be shit, cause it just cant handle heavy tcp loads (eg torrenting), it just dies.

So does anyone have any recommendations? If the 100mbit WAN port is just wishful thinking, is there a 10mbit WAN model that will actually perform to that 10mbit rating (yeah i know, slightly less in reallity), plus has decent internal hardware that can manage fairly heavy traffic?

Thanks!

Any and nearly all of the newer Linksys, Belkin, Trendware, etc have 100mb WAN with an integrated 10/100 switch. Some of them have 10/100/1000 switches for gigabit applications. Go to www.newegg.com and check out their networking section. They might not be the cheapest but they're close...plus they're reliable and overall excellent people with whom you can do business.

Edit: (I'm bored)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-001&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-007&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-022&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-003&depa=0
I've used all of these and you can't really beat Linksys considering they're Cisco.

Order said:
Any and nearly all of the newer Linksys, Belkin, Trendware, etc have 100mb WAN with an integrated 10/100 switch. Some of them have 10/100/1000 switches for gigabit applications. Go to www.newegg.com and check out their networking section. They might not be the cheapest but they're close...plus they're reliable and overall excellent people with whom you can do business.

Edit: (I'm bored)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-001&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-007&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-022&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-003&depa=0
I've used all of these and you can't really beat Linksys considering they're Cisco.

Interesting.. although all but one of the models you link to claims only 10mbit WAN port?

Only the Linksys BEFSX41 claims 100mbit WAN.. which seems a bit odd considering its so cheap.

Do you know anything about WAN<->LAN thruput either? I have seen specs that claim both 100mbit WAN and LAN, but only 35mbit throughput between.

A 10/100 WAN port means that it can operate at both speeds.
I routinely hit the 10mb mark when I'm downloading off a good server but it all depends on your broadband hookup speed. You could have a gigabit WAN port on a $20,000 router but if the ISP is only pushing 2-3 megs thats all you'll get.

Edit: Interesting, I didn't see that those others had the 10mb WAN only. 10 megabits is around 1 megabyte per second. You will rarely, if ever, surpass that on most home broadband connections. If you are sure that you should be getting faster speeds, have you tried optimizing your TCP/IP settings?

Edit again: The Linksys WRT54G Wireless/Hardwired router is absolutely incredible with options and performance, plus you can get many 3rd party firmware versions for it to further enhance its capabilities. You can get it for as low as $55 if you look in the right places.

Order said:
A 10/100 WAN port means that it can operate at both speeds.
I routinely hit the 10mb mark when I'm downloading off a good server but it all depends on your broadband hookup speed. You could have a gigabit WAN port on a $20,000 router but if the ISP is only pushing 2-3 megs thats all you'll get.

Edit: Interesting, I didn't see that those others had the 10mb WAN only. 10 megabits is around 1 megabyte per second. You will rarely, if ever, surpass that on most home broadband connections. If you are sure that you should be getting faster speeds, have you tried optimizing your TCP/IP settings?

Edit again: The Linksys WRT54G Wireless/Hardwired router is absolutely incredible with options and performance, plus you can get many 3rd party firmware versions for it to further enhance its capabilities. You can get it for as low as $55 if you look in the right places.

I'm uplinking to the uni network, that's why I want the 100mb WAN. We do internal file sharing at around 10 meg a second :)

Thanks for the recommendations

PS just for the record, with my current linksys, i simply cannot push more than 2-3mbit through WAN even though its rated at 10mbit. It also 'died' under large amount of traffic (eg torrenting), cant access the web interface etc, so I was a bit wary of their products.

Internal file shares may be at 100mb but I'm pretty sure your internet speed won't be that fast...
When you transfer amongst yourselves, how do you connect to one another? Via a network or out to the internet and then back into the LAN?

Your problem might just lie within your router and its age. I'd go to Circuit City and grab a plan Linksys and plug it in to test it out and return it when you have come to a conclusion.

I had problems with BT when I had the first Belkin 802.11g. I had a hardwired connection with the right ports open but my connection would drop to less than 50k after a 700+kb push and stay there for like 2 hours. I changed my router to the Pre-N and I've been loving it ever since. I recently tested a WRT54G v3 with the new Sveasoft Alchemy 7a beta and it was awesome.

You god damn Fios bastards ;).
The instant that comes to Fairfield County (which it won't) I'll be owning that 30mb...

Edit: Ottawa has FIOS?! That is a great reason to move in with my ex-girlfriend...

Order said:
Internal file shares may be at 100mb but I'm pretty sure your internet speed won't be that fast...
When you transfer amongst yourselves, how do you connect to one another? Via a network or out to the internet and then back into the LAN?

Your problem might just lie within your router and its age. I'd go to Circuit City and grab a plan Linksys and plug it in to test it out and return it when you have come to a conclusion.

I had problems with BT when I had the first Belkin 802.11g. I had a hardwired connection with the right ports open but my connection would drop to less than 50k after a 700+kb push and stay there for like 2 hours. I changed my router to the Pre-N and I've been loving it ever since. I recently tested a WRT54G v3 with the new Sveasoft Alchemy 7a beta and it was awesome.

We share internally via direct connect, you can get 10 Mbytes/s regularly over that. Externally I can get about 1.5 Mbytes/s. That's plugged directly into my room's ethernet socket.

Via the linksys though, its 300Kbyte/s usually tops.. even internally.

A good performing 10mbit WAN port would be find for external connections I suppose.. but I wanted 10/100 as the 100 would suit internal file sharing.

Any further suggestions? (this is wired btw obviously)

PS This is all within a university, in case anyone was suspicious off my WAN speed claims. When I say WAN I mean me -> uni, when I say LAN I say me -> other computers in my room, when I say external WAN I mean me -> outside uni rest of world :)

I might go with the Linksys BEFSX41 then.. since its the only one I can find with a 10/100 WAN port?

If that is the case then I would say forget about the router and get a good, fast switch. Do you know if your school's network will resolve IPs automatically if you plug right into it? If that is the case just go with a switch...

Order said:
If that is the case then I would say forget about the router and get a good, fast switch. Do you know if your school's network will resolve IPs automatically if you plug right into it? If that is the case just go with a switch...

tried that doesnt work.. you need a router if you're going to use multiple pc's from one network point

Back