Router recomendation wanted ( med biz )

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
I only know cisco (self taught)... but my company has grown past whats "cheap" at cisco.
If it comes right down to it, will likely end up with a cisco 2951.
Anyways our needs have grown to routing at above 100mbit (can push a gig, but don't need to).

Needs are: QoS, BGP, MPLS? not sure here adding mpls circuit at the end of the year, SLA functions
Wants: SFP slot(s)

I'm looking at the Juniper SRX240 too, much cheaper, faster? not sure.

If its over $6000 it prob won't get approved.

Just wondering what people here would suggest (under 6k).

Since you list BGP, I assume you need an edge router. Do you already have a firewall?

I'd take a look at the Fortigate 100D. It will handle 100Mb routing with full firewall and UTM features no problem. This includes application inspect, ips, web url logging, and SSL VPN.

Were using fortigates (pair of 200Bs) at the internet edge already. This is for internal routing between offices and possibly vlans (might route vlans on the switches, just depends what features I need). I'm not sure I would want to run a fortigate at this point in the network, our fortigates have seen issues with some features and even at one point had a tech say to format the internal drive and reload the firmware because he saw corruption.

The B is a old hardware revision. The C & D are MUCH newer hardware and support 5.0. I maintain quite a few of them (20+) of various models in a large environment with very little issues.

Back