Router needs restarting! Anyone run without a firewall? Possible flooding issues?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
Running Vista on two home computers. Have one connected directly to the wireless router and then my gaming computer connected via wireless. Both computers experience problems where the router must be rebooted to regain internet connection. Otherwise the connection with say local or limited connectivity. I found some info in another post that says that might fix the issue. Just worried to run without a firewall and not sure once I make these changes that I can ever change them back? Here's the info:

Prevent network flooding and connection drops

The new networking stack contained in Windows Vista has some issues. This build seems to like dropping connections and in rare cases, blocking all traffic on wireless routers, requiring a restart of the router itself. To fix these problems, complete the following instructions:

WARNING: Please note that this will disable IPv6 connectivity as well as the Windows Firewall security, and is not recommended unless you are experiencing these issues. This will also invalidate any network related bug reports you file against Windows Vista.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Under “Network and Internet”, click on “View network status and tasks”.
In the left hand pane, click on “Open connections”.
Right click on your network connection (for example: Local Area Connection 3), and then click “Configure”.
If asked for permission to open Network Connections, click on Allow.
Highlight the following items and press the “Uninstall” button:

Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Uncheck “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)”

Next, click on the “Configure” button under the name of your network adapter.
Click on the Power Management tab.
Disable all power management items listed on the Power Management tab.
Press OK.

To stop Windows Vista from flooding your network with traffic:

Press WinKey+R.
Type “services.msc” (without the quotes)
If asked for permission to open “Microsoft Management Console”, click Allow.
Double click on each one of the following services and change its startup type to “Disabled”.

Base Filtering Engine
IKE and AuthIP Keying Modules
IP Helper Service
IPSec
Windows Firewall
Close the Services window and restart Windows.

Yeah first thing I'd do is look at the age of the router. Too old...it'll not get along with IP6. get a new one.

Not too old....it can get updated with a new version of firmware and start running fine with Vista/Win7 clients.

Try a firmware upgrade anyways even if it's fairly new.

I'd not run a Windows box without having a router with NAT between my/my rigs and the internet.

I don't ever download anything using torrents. The router is pretty old. Probly 4-6 years. It's a WGT624v2 108mbps

and just a recent issue?
might start with upgrading firmware, if possible, and resetting to factory defaults and reconfiguring.

I had seen issues now and again that a reset and reconfigure would resolve

and yeah, I have heard of IPv6 causing issues with some routers.

As for disabling IPv6, can just as easily use the Microsoft FixIt tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

Back