Router Died - Need Advice on getting new Gaming Router.

KraXed112

Weaksauce
I've used the Dlink 704-P for a long time now.. and its just died.. router goes on .. but nothing goes thru.. What i would like to know from all of u is whats a good cable/router that some of u have had no problems what so ever to use with gaming and hosting with. i know my way around one. but i've always had problems with the one i had when playing Pandora Tomorrow... so it dying is kinda a good thing.

I've heard link-sys are good for all round .. but i hear just as much with d-link.. but nothing on practical use.

The usage will only consist of web cam, file sharing, game hosting and p2p chat software ( trillian )

I'm on the DLink Super-G (108Mbit wireless), and it works excellently. Nice WAN/LAN/WLAN thouroughput, easy configuration, and reasonable price (I get to play with ciscos and sonicwalls all day at work:p)

I have an old Linksys BEFSR41 4port router, and i have never had a problem with it yet.

As far as it goes, it has "DMZ host", which opens a specific computer to the internet, it has the option of setting 10 specific rules for forwarding, and it also has "port triggering", which i have never used.
Port Triggering
Some Internet applications or games use alternat ports to communicate between server and LAN host. When you want to use those applications, find out the ports used by them and fill the triggering(outgoing) port and alternat incoming port in this table. The router will forward the incoming packets to LAN host.

Although i must say, every game ive played was able to play online without any port forwarding enabled. I will note though, that i have only hosted servers with Unreal Tournament, and Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Outcast. Both worked without any forwarding also. ^_^

As for the general experience ive had with it, i like it a lot! Ive never had any problems with it.

I know that the current linksys routers have the cisco logo, and i don't think the current BEFSR41 is what i have now, or at least the front LED's don't match up. Mine looks more like a BEFSX41 now'a'days. (just looks though, the features still match up with the BEFSR41)

I mean, heck, if you can find one for 30$, or even 45$, its a great router for the price IMO.

~Hope this helps.

Edit: On a side note, i have also used a Belkin 4 port router, and mine was CRAP.... kept disconnecting from my ISP ever 20 min it seemed.

M11, what do you mean by "they like to burn up"?

Have you ever had any bad experiences with them?

Mine is in a nice open area, with good air circulation. Nothing is placed on top of it, or around it. After being on for 40 days, it will get a tinny bit warm, but mine never caught on fire, exploded, and/or smoked it self to the grave!

M11, if you could share your experiences, or define what "burn up" means, i would be very happy ^_^

I've had plenty of linksys that I've deployed quit working randomly, or literally burn up, and have to be RMAed. I'm sick of RMAing too many bad ones, and avoid them as a general rule. I have never seen as many defective routers per capita from any other company.

How much tinkering do you like to do?

A linux router is always fun. First of all, it does a great job. Then, there's fun with iptables. Then there's fun with packet shaping.

You can do some funky stuff with that, let me tell you.

And of course, were you so inclined, you could set up all sorts of stuff ( *cough* jabber server *cough* ) on the server.

Hi, my name is XOR, and I am a geek.

hm, i wonder if the newer Linksys routers arn't made like they used to be every since they partnered with cisco. ~_~

My router was purchased about 4 years ago.

As for the linux router, i had a friend set one up. It was quite interesting (used more electricity then a external one... he used an old cyrix based computer. He used the IPCOP OS (linux), and for some reason he was having problems with opening ports to more then one computer in order to do some online gaming. I never used IPCOP, but was thinking about giving this a try.

XOR, is there Distro's out there that work good for this job?

~Thanks for the info

Wow u both bring up good points.. =P seems linksys mite have problems..
I do remember from using linksys it seemed to have alot of options and so forth.. but dlinks seem to been easier to setup.. so far i see i can get a 624 for 39.99 after rebate.. i dont think thats too bad for a extreme-g
ONLY bad part is.. ............................. its 69.99 with a 30.00 rebate so its 39.99!! as u can see here
offer ends.. august 1st.. which is in like.. 2 hrs.. blah.. i'll keep lookin but i will also look up some linksys routers and read up on some reviews as well..

I have had 2 Linksys routers start on fire. They were both BEFW11S4 .v2

I plugged it in, configured it, then I walked away to get food. Came back and there was smoke SHOOTING out of the little holes in the top. That one went out the window and straight into a bank of snow.
I thought I just got a bad router, so I RMAed it.

When I get it back it happened again. It went pretty much the same way, except I was away longer and the whole top of it melted in and the room smelt horrible for a week.

towert7 said:
XOR, is there Distro's out there that work good for this job?

~Thanks for the info
Eh, any distro would do it, I think. I'm more familar with redhat and slack than, say, suse. But when you are setting up a firewall, you are talking about tools that should come with any and every distro anyway, so you can pretty much ignore distros.

Your frient, forgive me for saying so, might not have known what he was doing. iptables, once you understand it, is very intuitive ( yeah yeah, I know ).

The packet shaping stuff....well, ok, that's some seriously black mojo, even for me still, and I've been working on understanding it for 2 weeks now. :) Although I have set it up so any incoming traffic on port 22 gets priority over all other traffic, so I can administrate my boxes regardless of what's going on ( dDos or whatever. Yes, that has happened on my home email server. *shrug* My box came through with flying colors tho. :) ). So that's always handy.

XOR != OR said:
The packet shaping stuff....well, ok, that's some seriously black mojo, even for me still, and I've been working on understanding it for 2 weeks now. :) Although I have set it up so any incoming traffic on port 22 gets priority over all other traffic, so I can administrate my boxes regardless of what's going on ( dDos or whatever. Yes, that has happened on my home email server. *shrug* My box came through with flying colors tho. :) ). So that's always handy.
Not that i dont understand most of what u just said.. cos i dont understand any of it..
If i learned this.. would it be possible to filter traffic in my lan to stop other ppl from running there p2p softs and stuff?

I got a problem of some ppl who come over to a lan party and run kazaa or winmx or any other p2p prog uploading and using up all the bandwith.. the only temp solution i came up with so far was to find the guy.. bitch.. then he would stop =P
temp cos... someone else would start it up and it starts all over again.

The Linksys BEFSX41 routers are pretty decent bang for the buck. If you want blindingly fast powerful routers, get Netopia R series, or 358X series, Sonicwall SOHO/TZW's, Cisco PIX 501s...but most people don't want to spend much.

Compex also makes some fast little routers, www.cpx.com

But for the under 100 dollar home router market, the Linksys BEFSX41 routers are my favorite. I've deployed and support probably over 200, maybe even 250, Linksys routers in my years as a VAR, I've found them to work quiet well. For those who manage to "cook them", might want to look into their power surge issues, as I find them to be the same reliability as most other home market routers, even a bit better. I like the BEFSX far better than the older "SR" models.

DLink has improved over the years, I have to admit...I considered them super bottom end routers a few years ago, but they've gotten better lately.

KraXed112 said:
Not that i dont understand most of what u just said.. cos i dont understand any of it..
If i learned this.. would it be possible to filter traffic in my lan to stop other ppl from running there p2p softs and stuff?

I got a problem of some ppl who come over to a lan party and run kazaa or winmx or any other p2p prog uploading and using up all the bandwith.. the only temp solution i came up with so far was to find the guy.. bitch.. then he would stop =P
temp cos... someone else would start it up and it starts all over again.
To stop them, you only need a few firewall rules, blocking the ports used for the p2p program.

To reallly futz with them, you use packet shaping to allocate 1k to them, low priority. :)

Hm, newegg has the D-Link DI-604 router for 38$US - 10$us Mail In Rebate = 28$ + 0.99$ shipping ^_^ for about 30$ that sounds like a good deal.

The new linksys BEFSR41 at newegg is 50 - 10(MIR) = 40$, so 10$ more then the D-link

Heck, for the price ide give the new D-Link a try.

KraXed112 said:
I've used the Dlink 704-P for a long time now.. and its just died.. router goes on .. but nothing goes thru.. What i would like to know from all of u is whats a good cable/router that some of u have had no problems what so ever to use with gaming and hosting with. i know my way around one. but i've always had problems with the one i had when playing Pandora Tomorrow... so it dying is kinda a good thing.

I've heard link-sys are good for all round .. but i hear just as much with d-link.. but nothing on practical use.

The usage will only consist of web cam, file sharing, game hosting and p2p chat software ( trillian )

Is your DI 704 less than a year old? I had one and it died too. D-Link said it happens all the time and they will replace for a year.

thuper said:
Is your DI 704 less than a year old? I had one and it died too. D-Link said it happens all the time and they will replace for a year.
Yeah ive had it for almost 2 yrs now.. =)
YeOldeStonecat said:
But for the under 100 dollar home router market, the Linksys BEFSX41 routers are my favorite. I've deployed and support probably over 200, maybe even 250, Linksys routers in my years as a VAR, I've found them to work quiet well. For those who manage to "cook them", might want to look into their power surge issues, as I find them to be the same reliability as most other home market routers, even a bit better. I like the BEFSX far better than the older "SR" models.

DLink has improved over the years, I have to admit...I considered them super bottom end routers a few years ago, but they've gotten better lately.
Haha.. I considered Linksys routers bad for new people cos they were such a pain to setup correctly
But for all the ones so far.. that model of the router seems like a winner

XOR != OR said:
To stop them, you only need a few firewall rules, blocking the ports used for the p2p program.

To reallly futz with them, you use packet shaping to allocate 1k to them, low priority. :)
Seeing as this can be only done with a linksys.. u mind telling me which model u use? or is this something that all linksys routers can do?

KraXed112 said:
Seeing as this can be only done with a linksys.. u mind telling me which model u use? or is this something that all linksys routers can do?
I was referring to linux, actually. :)

XOR != OR said:
I was referring to linux, actually. :)
DAMN!!! that was my motive to buy a linksys =P
then.. u got a router u would recommend? =) that mite do the stuff u said ?

Back