a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 104402

a

Last edited by a moderator:
It just depends on the time of day, your location and other factors. I have Roadrunner Turbo and my download speeds are normally above 20 Mbps.

Try running straight from your computer to the modem, other wise give Time Warner a call. They have the ability to look at the modems advanced configuration, and see if noise or something else is effecting your quality of broadband connection.

It just depends on the time of day, your location and other factors. I have Roadrunner Turbo and my download speeds are normally above 20 Mbps.

Try running straight from your computer to the modem, other wise give Time Warner a call. They have the ability to look at the modems advanced configuration, and see if noise or something else is effecting your quality of broadband connection.

Just a thought..... If you want to risk opening up many risky ports to your computer, do NOT connect a modem directly to any computer. It will make it a lot more risky for a hacking attempt to happen since you have lesser protection. Leaving your modem to go through the router first allows its firewall to protect many open ports coming from the net

Plus... if its slow through the router its 99% sure to be slow the same directly connected way...... so be aware, just a helpful tip no hate!

yes it is normal.

we will get up to 25/2 with our Turbo. But often it is 10-15 during high traffic

dont ever do this. you might as well just download and install a virus yourself.

Assuming you are on a modern OS, with a software firewall, what's the issue? If its Windows XP SP3, Vista, or W'indows 7, I'd verify my location changed from Home/Work to Public, but it should default to that anyway when it sees the IP address range change.

Or do you never conenct to any public WI-FI hotspot also due to security concerns, ever?

Or do you never conenct to any public WI-FI hotspot also due to security concerns, ever?

those have NAT

but i agree, they're being a bit paranoid.... just be aware of what you're doing... i wouldn't agree with the statement that 99% of the time if it does the same behind the router it'll do the same directly connected.... a lot of consumer grade routers don't have the balls to push 20mbps....

It seems low to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Runner_High_Speed_Online#Tier_service

Roadrunner Turbo is 15/1 and there is a possibility to burst to 25/1 but I wouldn't count that. It lasts for only about 30 seconds anyways so it's not really worth it or helping much.

Download a large file like a Windows service pack from Microsoft and see what your sustained speed is after a minute or 2. Microsoft has fast servers and they always max out my download speed.

I've got Roadrunner Turbo and always get my 15Mbit (1.875MB/s) down.

It is possible your area has high congestion and they may be overselling the lines so try it at different times of day to see if your hardware really is to blame for the speed.

Back